1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  1. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

I am toying with the idea of adding a central mail server. I have never used a central mail server before so was wondering what the hardware specs should be? I realise there are a lot of variables, so just curious what specs any others are using and for how many mailboxes?

My Cmail server will initially serve about 4500 mailboxes and I would like it to handle much more. I will be using spamassassin and clamav (is Dr.Web any better? I can handle the price for a single mail server ;)) Any comments on the following specs:

2U
    Dual Quad-core 2.5Ghz Xeon CPU's
    8GB RAM (or 16GB?)
    ???GB SATA II 7200RPM Enterprise Storage 32MB cache HDD's (space for up to 8)

Would the bottleneck here be the SATA drives? Is SCSI/SAS recommended? Any RAID options?

2. SHGreg

SHGreg Guest

Can anyone mention their mail server specs and the amount of email they process? Average loads?

TIA