• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Coldfusion Docker Container potential usage questions

Rodney Lemish

New Pleskian
Hi all,

As Plesk has discontinued support for Coldfusion a while back (12.5?), I'm looking for options to continue to support it for my customers going forward. Any new servers I set up for my CF clients won't be able to take advantage of the integration with Plesk that we had before.

Rather than tell my clients "We no longer support it...", I'd rather come up with a solution. So here's what I came up with...

Using a normal install and implementation of Plesk for Linux, my clients would be able to create websites, email etc. as they always have.
The website files stored in the httpdocs folder would be the the typical files you would find in any site - coldfusion, php, html etc.
  • I launch a Coldfusion docker container for each site that requires CF.
  • Configure Port Mapping (don't use automatic).
  • Configure the path to point to the httpdocs of that site.
  • Set any necessary CF environment variables per container documentation.
  • Configure Docker Proxy Rules to point traffic to Docker container for site.
I know very little about Docker, but after a little trial and error I was successful in setup and configuration. I'm confident that I can set up a website account and configure it for CF in a matter of just a few minutes. The user continues to manage their site and services as normal.

Here are some assessments and assumptions I've made.
  • The CF instance for that website runs in its own space and will not affect the performance of any other sites as long as the host is sufficiently equipped.
  • The configuration of CF is specific to that website.
  • CF management can be delegated to the client for datasource, debugging and other common tasks.
  • You can still configure your website to serve other types of files that CF can't interpret by isolating CFML in folders ad creating mappings to those folders.
  • You can run different versions of CF on the same host, possibly even for the same site.
Does anyone else employ this method or something similar?
Have you had any luck with this in a production environment?
What type of host resources should I assume necessary for each instance?

Back