• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Confused on admin role

amba1980

New Pleskian
Hi, I rent a couple of servers from my provider and manage them all through Plesk.

All have been recently installed and are uptodate on Linux/Obsidian.

On one server, I decided to not use admin as the main administrator account but rather xyz.

The xyz account even though set to full administrator rights does not give me all the options in the sidebar that the admin users on the other machines get. Why?

The admin account actually exists and I want to switch to it now given the hassles of using an account for managing the instance that is not called admin.

However, I can't reset the password and apparently forgot it. This is because the pw-reset email goes to root on the machine where it never arrives. Is there another way or resetting the password?

Thanks!

Thanks. I got my admin account back. But why is the xyz account inferior to the hard-coded (?) admin account? It seems reasonable to me to not use a commonly name for an account that every cracker would try to get into.

Back