1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Considering Plesk instead on CPanel/Helm

Discussion in 'Plesk Expand 2.0 and Legacy General Discussion' started by VagaStorm, Sep 7, 2004.

1. VagaStorm

VagaStorm Basic Pleskian

73%
    We currently have servers running helm for windows and cpanel for linux. We are considering moving to plesk, but I have some questions:

I see that there is a migration tool for cpanel, how hard is it to move helm accounts?

I notice there is a command line tool for generating accounts on plesk reloaded, is that possible also using plesk expand with linux and windows servers? If not, are there any other ways to automatically generate accounts when an order is made into our main system? Can plesk take orders, and then send a notice to our main system what was ordered, and by whom?

Is it possible to have one linux and one windows server set up as primary and secondary dns servers?

If purchasing a pr month subscriptions to plesk, dos that include upgrades?

2. Cranky

Cranky Guest

The CPanel migration tool is "experimental" and just a buggy beta release for now. It should improve given time. I'd be surprised if they develop a HELM tool for Plesk for Linux.

Yes it's better through Expand actually as it allows you to configure automated account distribution across your servers rather than crowding one, etc. You can use XML-SOAP API or PHP or CGI to create and modify accounts on Expand which is very useful. You would link your ordering/billing system to Expand and you'd be ready to go.

Not yet, but this should be added to Expand in the very near future - at least 2 x linux servers, 1 x linux, 1 x windows might take a little longer but it should be added really as people will want/need it.

Yes, but if you can afford the one-off license it is cheaper for you after around 9 months if I remember correctly, especially given that the monthly subscriptions include a 6 month contract.

HTH

3. VagaStorm

VagaStorm Basic Pleskian

73%
    I was kind of thinking of a migration tool from helm to windows Plesk :)

But about the dns, dos plesk assume that you only have one dns server. Cause the Norwegian nic demands 2 dns servers... Can I set up so that zones from both a linux and a windows plesk is stored on the linux plesk (assuming here that it uses bind), and then set up a small RH box that just runs as backup dns?

4. Cranky

Cranky Guest

You could get away with just using 1 physical box really ... if you have primary and secondary nameservers IP's different then it will likely work. If you do want a second redhat box then you could mirror dns with the hack from atomicrocketturtle.com .... I wouldn't know how to do this for your windows box though.