• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Constant Unable to connect to database while upgrading/repairing

ManofAction

New Pleskian
Hi,

I had Plesk 10 installed on my openSUSE system (was a low version, maybe 11 or less) and then decided to upgrade to 11.5. So I did distribution upgrades to openSUSE 12.3 and everything went smoothly, except for some services like mysql and php. So I used Plesk autoinstaller to fix the php error and edited an outdated line in mysql configuration and both services ran smoothly!

Then I downloaded Plesk autoinstaller and ran the autoinstaller, but was surprised by this error message:

===> Checking for previous installation ... found.
ERR (3) [panel]: Error during product key mode determination, details: Unable to connect to database: ; trace: #0 /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/functions.php(2821): isPpaKeyRequired()
#1 /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/common_func.php3(11): require_once('/usr/local/psa/...')
#2 /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-common/cu.php(5): require_once('/usr/local/psa/...')
#3 /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/httpdmng(8): include_once('/usr/local/psa/...')
#4 (main)
Unable to connect to database:

- My MySQL version is: 5.5.33 openSUSE package
- I did run mysql_upgrade with my admin username and password (password from: /etc/psa/.psa.shadow) and it worked successfully and fixed all of the errors, I did so after running the auto installer first, but then ran the installer again and the problem was still there
- I can access my web page, but it still doesn't connect to MySQL either.

I believe this is a problem with MySQL, but how can I make sure or detect what exactly the problem is? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading my request!

We managed to fix the problem! Looks like it was a conflict between MariaDB and MySQL Community Server, so I removed MySQL community server and it worked! I'm however getting a problem now when I try to manage subscriptions (I'm in the panel at the moment) as it says:

Call to a member function capability() on a non-object (SubscriptionController.php:1144)

or when I visit panel.myserver.tld:8443/smb/ I would get:

Internal error: Specified column "subscriptionDomainId" is not in the row

What should I do? I don't think there's something wrong with the services, perhaps the tables? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

This is just an update on the issue! I figured out that I will need to repair Plesk in order to get these new columns into my old tables, running repair worked this time! But there were some errors which prevented it to continue; obviously while connecting to MySQL as root:

PS controller: ODBC error #HY000: [unixODBC][MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver]
Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

So my question is, where shall I set these connection properties so that I can continue with the repair script?

Another update! I just changed the root password to a blank one and it worked! I hope this procedure helps anyone that was having the same problem!

Back