• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Conversion of Plesk 7 dump file fails on Plesk 9.3

F

Frogger

Hi folks,

I have a Plesk 7.5.4 system running in a Virtuozzo 3 VPS. I have a brand new Plesk 9.3 system running in a Virtuozzo 4 container. I'd like to move all clients & domains from the Plesk 7.5.4 setup to the Plesk 9.3 system. I have been unable to do so.

Following the KB article http://kb.odin.com/en/5864 I made a dump of my Plesk 7.5.4 system, viz:

/usr/local/psa/bin/psadump -f Plesk7.dump --nostop

This worked and I had a 3.7 gig Plesk7.dump file which I copied over to the Plesk 9.3 system. Then I tried to convert the Plesk7 dump to a Plesk8 dump (prior to converting it to a Plesk 9 backup) as the KB article says to:

/usr/local/psa/bin/backup-convert convert --output Plesk8.dump Plesk7.dump

This step fails and I'm at a loss what to do next. Here's what I get from the above command:

/usr/local/psa/admin/share/backup_convert/commands/convert.py:8: DeprecationWarning: the MimeWriter module is deprecated; use the email package instead
import MimeWriter
Runtime error: not a gzip file

The "import MimeWriter" output and the "Runtime error: not a gzip file" are separated by about 30 minutes. The conversion aborts with the runtime error.

Does anyone have an idea how I proceed from here?

Oh yeah, the Plesk 7.5.4 VPS is running Fedora Core 4 on a Fedora Core 2 host and the Plesk 9.3 container is running Fedora 11 on a Fedora 8 host.

--
Cheers,
Rob

It is difficult to say what is wrong with initial dump file without deep investigation directly on your server. It is not trivial problem and I can suggest you contact support team for fixing it. Try to find error and reason of error with something like

# tail -30 Plesk8.dump

Also you can try to use Migration manager for this migration.

Migration Manager mostly failed, I only managed to transfer over 4 clients using it. Plus it is incredibly slow: the servers are on the same switch and it takes MM over 24 hours to transfer 1.5 GB! Yet the Virtuozzo host systems get around 11 mbs transfer speeds.

MM fails in Plesk 9.3 with the issue discussed in http://kb.odin.com/en/7021 which is why I was trying to do it manually.

Hmm, I see no indication of what the problem might be from the Plesk8.dump file.

- Rob

tail -30 Plesk8.dump
-- Dumping data for table `phpbb_words`
--

--
-- Table structure for table `phpbb_zebra`
--

CREATE TABLE `phpbb_zebra` (
`user_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`zebra_id` mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`friend` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`foe` tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',