• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Important COVID-19 consequences

Status
Not open for further replies.

IgorG

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Certified Professional
Dear Pleskians!

You all know about the changes in our life that coronavirus has caused recently. Many of you switched to work from home office, many of you have changed the conditions of your hosting business.

In general, I would like you to share your thoughts on what changes you are currently seeing in the hosting industry, how quarantine affects your business.

Let's keep a finger on the pulse together.

Thank you!

Maybe you could see if there are possibilities into porting Plesk Antivirus into the real world....

Aside from that - wishing you all to stay safe and healthy. Try to keep the heads up; this situation is a tough interruption of our daily life as we were used to, but the world wont stop rotating - together we can get through this!

Best,
MSZ.

Well one thing that comes to my mind is the fact that the biggest internet provider here in Switzerland called Swisscom completely went offline for a couple of minutes because there are many people binge watching videos (me included).
I'm sure especially peiple hosting media-platforms will be crying for more bandwidth and tools for smarter/faster data-transformation.
Also tools for hosting media might become more popular... like... is there even some sort of self-hosted YouTube or something...?

Hello all,

I have lived in London for 36 years and its the weirdest feeling seeing a city that is practically open 24hrs a day 365 days a year to a complete standstill.

To even watching the recycling plant which burns 24hrs a day 7 days a week 365 days a year I watched it burning on Xmas day just gone to yesterday it was off

Ques for the supermarkets at 8 am are around 1 mile long due to 2m distance restrictions

it's unreal

we as humans think today that we are advanced, everything is ok, these things won't happen its the 21 century, our infrastructures are sound

but this just goes to show how vulnerable humans really are at the end of the day

We are to busy fighting over who is going to win the next election, who's a bit of land that was or used to be, you looked at my girlfriend, fighting over who is gonna get that promotion so they can get that extra little bit of money, too busy littering and dumping rubbish, or he said that you said that she said that he was a beep.

To actually prepare our selves for a virus or diseases that does not give a monkey's about any of that and we will be more ruthless then the whole of mankind put together

We have the resources, technology, and infrastructure to protect our self's from such disasters if we just stopped fighting amongst ourself's and wasting our money on useless things when someone rung 999 because their pizza had no toppings on it but turned out the pizza was upside down.

I know this sounds cruel but i hope this is a lesson to mankind, because if we just brush this away, and pretended it will not happen again and we don't actually have enough time to argue amongst ourselves selves then we are in trouble.

The warning sings have been here for such pandemic, swine flu, bird flu, sars, mers, meningitis, polio, tb, whooping chough, ebola do you want me to continue

But we are to busy walking with our eyes closed and when we open them it scares us so we close them again then we pretend we never saw

Kirk MacDonald

Last edited:
I've been strictly working from home for years now - so no difference for me there.

I have seen customers both expanding their online business, as well as those looking to save money by downgrading.

Support requests in general have increased, more work overall.

In general, I would like you to share your thoughts on what changes you are currently seeing in the hosting industry, how quarantine affects your business.

- Customers expand the services e.g. if the onlineshop runs better or a school needs more mailboxes etc.
- some smaller companies give up and quit hosting
- other companies are trying to save costs by reducing the domain portfolio or downgrade services
- private customers have time and are more active on the domains or also want to save money and quit hosting

the pendulum is currently swinging in both directions :)
hard to say how it will develop in the next weeks / months.
wait and hope that the crisis will soon be over

The consequences are a lot and not usual, personally I consider it a forceful global reboot to rethink everything in our short life's.

We are developer. Please tell me whats outside? What is a tree?
Ash_Tree_-_geograph.org.uk_-_590710.jpg

One of consequence for us, is eveytime more problem with outlook/hotmail/live mail due to more use of mail. Always have the same case, ips no listed in blacklist, but due to amount mail, outlook sometime block temporaly ip server with tipical message :

"host live-com.olc.protection.outlook.com[104.47.12.33] said : 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [ip] weren't sent...."

We send us an form when have the problem (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/supportrequestform/8ad563e3-288e-2a61-8122-3ba03d6b8d75) and always the same automatic answer :

"We have completed reviewing the IP(s) you submitted. The following table contains the results of our investigation.
Not qualified for mitigation
Our investigation has determined that the above IP(s) do not qualify for mitigation.
There is no silver bullet to maintaining or improving good IP reputation, but these programs help you proactively manage your email eco-system to help better ensure deliverability to Outlook.com users. "

Then we answer to the mail, and they review and sometime solve problem, but this situation is an big big problem for us and with this "·$"·$ virus and the hight amount of mail... more problem.

Outlook is the number 1 of problem, with gmail, also some few problem that mail gone to spam when all is ok, ip reputation, dkim, spf, etc etc... also very few option to solve it, but it's not so comun that with hotmail/live mail account.

Countries are asking ppl to #stayhome & shutting down population movement to limit #COVID19 transmission. These steps can have unintended consequences for the poorest & most vulnerable. I call on countries to ensure these populations have food & life essentials during the crisis. Thousands fled on foot to their villages, often hundreds of kilometres away, leading to the death of at least 20 people.

I live in Italy, not far from the first "Ground Zero" point.
You can imagine what it's like to work with the sirens of ambulances that ring all day.
My daughter works in a home for the elderly and calls me every evening to update me on the number of dead.

Meanwhile, the eternal war between conspiracy theorists and those who are more realistic than the king is always on the air on Facebook. Along with this, our particular battle between the two main political factions is also on the air.

From a technical point of view, many small companies in this period have preferred to close and some do not know whether to reopen.
A couple of my contracts have been canceled and the main source of revenue is remote assistance, but these too are few.
Meanwhile, my ISPs still want to be paid every month even if the servers are turned off.
I turned them off because, paradoxically, the work has increased because remote assistance is provided at any time of day or evening.
In addition, I am part of two associations that were created precisely to provide free remote assistance to people in difficulty.
These are situations that previously have never considered remote assistance and now everything is slower and more difficult.
So I didn't have the time to follow my server updates closely and found one hacked.

The technical support forums are perhaps hibernating because I posted some questions, but in many cases without getting an answer.

In terms of prospects, I believe that in the not too distant future, requests for services such as video conferencing, webinars and cloud switchboards will increase.
I see many doubts about transferring these services to third parties, but alternative technical support is still very rare and expensive to take it into consideration on one's own cloud server.

Hi,

I am from India and we are on total lock down from March 20 to till date and expected to continue still May3 in my state. I provide mainly server support services to different clients, Impact differ on countries. My clients office is closed in Italy since Feb 15 and all his activities are stopped. It was for the first time in feb I heard about corona and never thought it will be too bad for whole world. Business income there is totally zero only thing that happens daily is asking about health condition of my boss and his family. Boss has no idea when he will be able to go to office.

For US clients everything is just normal in my point of view. Hosting tickets raised and there is no change in hosting revenue. In Germany support works are going like normal but a salary cut of 50% for all employees. Work remains the same. They are expecting months for the situation to come normal.

I have setup three online class room servers for clients, bigbluebotton and queries for conducting online classrooms are more. Personal life is badly impacted routines has totally changed. Sitting at home for more than 40 days was never imaginable. Most of the leading hosting support has shortage of staff and they are taking hours for providing first response, godaddy and microsoft office 365 taking more than 48 hours for a response.

Last edited:
Here in Poland government start to reactivate economy and open shopping centers but still must wearing virus masks

Hi there!
Here in Pakistan, the situation is so very complex. With the decision of govt easing out the lock-down, it is feared that the cases might jump high. Uncertainty looms all around, with no visible sigh of relief so far.

Regards.!!

It is an opportunity for hosting companies and internet providers because now everyone is working from home and they need the internet. But obvious internet users will increase and in the meantime hosting and domain provider will also get benefited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back