• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

CPAN Troubles

J

jwthompson2

Wanted to ask a couple questions. Here's my config:

Fedora Core 2 with Plesk 7.5.x and everything up to date as best I can tell.

When logged in as root I check my installed CPAN modules and see 'list' and one other. This leads to my first question:

1.) Where does Plesk keep the perl modules that it uses since it isn't at the system level.

My next question flows from that:

2.) How can I add new modules so that Plesk will allow their use in CGI scripts?

And the next one is mod_perl related:

3.) What of the mod_perl related modules (Apache::Registry, etc.) are already installed for use by Plesk?

I may just be stupid for having to ask this but I'm searching and I'm stumped...

1.) Where does Plesk keep the perl modules that it uses since it isn't at the system level.

2.) How can I add new modules so that Plesk will allow their use in CGI scripts?

3.) What of the mod_perl related modules (Apache::Registry, etc.) are already installed for use by Plesk?
Plesk does not change anything about the system perl when it installs - all perl libraries that it uses are in /usr/local/psa/lib/perl5 but these are used by Plesk - the system doesn't know anything about them. The perl libraries your system uses should be on some path like /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1.

Over the years I've had enough problems using cpan to install perl modules that I no longer try - I just go to the CPAN site, manually download the perl modules I need, and install "by hand" (perl Makefile.PL;make;make install).

The problem I'm having is that when I look at what modules are installed the list is very short, 3 entries, and this seems like something is very wrong.

If modules were to be installed into Plesk's perllib would that make them accesible to scripts running under mod_perl or do they need to be installed at the system level. Plesk's setup is sufficiently confusing to me that I'm not quite sure where things need to go to keep stuff working.

The Plesk installation of Apache only handles Plesk - not any web sites. The only thing that the Plesk perl libraries support is Apache running on port 8443 - the Plesk control panel. The instance of Apache that serves site pages knows nothing about the Plesk perl libraries - only the system perl libraries.

As a general rule, you should stay away from making changes to the Plesk libraries as this is more likely to break Plesk than it is to accomplish anything useful - and it will certainly not fix anything that mod_perl is doing for any website you host.

Back