• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question CPU Red alarm level

Curtis1

Basic Pleskian
Hi
I have a question.

Every so often I will get a plesk alarm email indicating that the CPU Usage has changed to "red". I just looked at the last 5 that I got, spread over the last few months. In every instance, the only processes shown that are running are the same 3 processes :

csrss.exe
winlogon.exe
LogonUI.exe

Am I to believe that logon attempts are causing high CPU usage ?
If it is not me logging in, would this imply someone is trying to hack into the server and blasting it with login attempts ?

Is there some other info i can look at to see what might be causing this ?
I sort of find it hard to believe it is hack attempts, otherwise I would think it would be happening every day or at least several times a week. But i might only get these alerts maybe once a week.
Any suggestions or ideas ?

In case you assume someone trying to hack your server with login attempts, you should look at Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Security log.
There should be logged attempts to login to your server.

If you can find that there are lot of RDP login attempts, you can try to:
1) change default RDP port from 3389 to something unusual
2) check that Network Level Authentication is enabled for RDP. In case it is disabled Windows will try to start UI process for hacker trying to brute force attack your server. UI process wastes CPU time.

Back