• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Crash of MailEnable IMAP service (ME standard 4.26)

L

Louis-DavidP

I don't know if this is related, but I recently upgraded to the latest Plesk version (10.2.0, was 10.0.1 before if I remember properly). It's seated on a 2008R2 server.

About 7 days later, I started to have issues with MailEnable IMAP service... it simply crashes:

Faulting application name: MEIMAPS.exe, version: 1.0.0.60, time stamp: 0x4c8595fd
Faulting module name: MSVCR90.dll, version: 9.0.30729.1, time stamp: 0x488ef6c5
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00024651
Faulting process id: 0xf4c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cc0a65088bb9f2
Faulting application path: C:\Parallels\Plesk\Mail Servers\Mail Enable\Bin\MEIMAPS.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.1_none_e163563597edeada\MSVCR90.dll
Report Id: 33dc6090-7665-11e0-a9ec-0050568f000b

In the debug log of imap server, I have multiple occurrences of those two messages before the service actually crash:
AddChunk::HeapReAlloc->Unable to resize memory block
Not enough storage is available to process this command.

I guess it's mostly related, but I noticed huge spikes of memory usage of MEIMAPS.exe sometimes... like more than 900MB... so I guess it crashes when it tries to allocate over 2GB. I find it quite weird that it allocates so much RAM... the IMAP server I'm used to under linux have very small memory requirements.

Any clues on how to diagnose or to fix this problem?

Thanks

I have 4 GB of RAM. Pagefile is setup to give me a maximum of 8 GB of commit charge.
Commit charge doesn't go over 2 GB... so we have plenty of memory here.

So it looks like that it clearly crashes when it reaches 2 GB, since MEIMAPS.exe is 32 bits...

I just noticed in the 10.2.0 release notes that it is shipped with ME version 5, not 4.26... so I guess the existing instance doesn't get upgraded with Plesk? If so, any easy way to perform the upgrade of Mail Enable?

Thanks

I just noticed in the 10.2.0 release notes that it is shipped with ME version 5, not 4.26... so I guess the existing instance doesn't get upgraded with Plesk? If so, any easy way to perform the upgrade of Mail Enable?

Plesk doesn't perform upgrade of Mailenable. Plesk will install Mailenable 5.10 only during clean installation. You can download new version of Mailenable from vendor site and upgrade your instance manually.

I finally found the cause of this problem.

An user managed to put 6 e-mails of 300MB in her draft folder...
The server simply crashes every time the mail client tries to fetch those using multiple threads.

Thanks for your help!

Back