• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Create and provide Backups for all Clients

W

wombat

Hi!

I'm currently looking for a way to provide an easy and seamless backup system for my customers. I use plesk 11 to backup the whole server every day but the problem with this is, that only I can restore from this backup. So that's not the perfect way of providing backups.

I would like to create a backup every night for every customer. So the customer will see backups from the last n days when he logs in. I don't want to setup the backups cronjob in every customer account by hand - there must be an automated way.

I would use the server wide backup cronjob to backup only configuration files of the whole server. The data and emails should be backed up on a domain/customer basis, so that the customer can restore from this backups on his own.

I read the backup and backup-cli guides available but didn't find a way to do this other than setting up a daily backup job in every customer account by my own. I'm sure there is a better way ;)

Regards,
Andreas

Andreas, when you go to the server settings -> backup manager -> and backup the entire server, that means ALL your clients data gets backed-up too.

And you clients can access these backups right from there control panel -> backup manager.

NB: And by the way you can schedule that process so that it does it for you automatically at the rate you define.

'till now i just set up the "global" backup to use a ftp server. so i guess the client's can't see this global backup unless it's downloaded to the server repository, right?

new plan: use the gui backup tool to setup one global backup with all data in the server repository. use the cli backup tool to make one daily backup on a ftp server. i don't like the idea of two full backups running every night doing the same stuff, but afaik there is now better way..

thanks!

What I would suggest is:

1. Let the scheduled backups be stored on the server resp (Clients can have access to these).
2. Then once in a week you can run a backup of the entire server but this time you save the backup on the FTP resp.

This way you don't want to JUNK or fill up your FTP server with backups.

However, I remember as though atleast in the old versions when you backup the entire server to the FTP resp a copy of the backup is also kept on the server resp. (I guess this was resolved in new versions) but in the old versions I used to delete these backups manually from the local server resp.

Back