• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Create domain alias with no DNS record?

S

sreese

Is there a way in Plesk to add a domain alias to an account without automatically creating a corresponding dns zone record?

We do web development and hosting so we frequently have to set up a temporary development subdomain under our zone to start development with until our client decides on a domain name. Say our zone is company.com. We add an A record for client.company.com and then add it as an alias to the new hosting account so that account knows to serve pages for that subdomain. The problem is if we define this record in our zone, the alias cannot be added to the new account. It wouldn't be a problem if our web site was not also on the same server but it is. The message I get is:

"Error: DNS records for domain with such name already exist"

I don't WANT a new dns record added in these cases. Even if I leave all the boxes unchecked when trying to add it, it fails. I tried removing the subdomain A record from our zone, adding the alias, switching off the dns for it and then adding it back to our record but I get the same error.

Is this possible or are we going to have to redefine how we develop web sites for our clients? This seems like such a simple and obvious thing. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Back