• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue create domain if subdomain already created

geehaa

Basic Pleskian
i have a domain and was hosted somewhere external (eg: mydomain.com).
i wanted to eventually migrate the website to a newly installed plesk server.

so i installed plesk on a new server.

when setting up plesk i could not use hostname mydomain.com because that A record is pointing to running external website.

so i decided to use a subdomain as domain:
plesk.mydomain.com

after some time i wanted to migrate the main extarnel website mydomain.com to the plesk machine.

so went to 'add domain name' tab in plesk

but i could not create a new domain:
mydomain.com

because it says:
```
Domain name *
‪www. ‬ [mydomain.com]
This domain name already exists.
```

but this is not true because only the subdomain exists.

how to fix this?

same problem exitst for creating subdomains.

eg:
if i want to create:
subdomain.mydomain.com

i only get the option to specify a subdomain for :
subdomain [.plesk.mydomain.com]

i guess the problem is that when you specify the main domain as "sub.domain.tld" plesk thinks the main domain is "domain.tld" even though its not.

Would it be an option to rename the subdomain to any phantasy name, then create the main domain, then rename the phantasy name back to the subdomain? I have not tested it and it will probably need to be done in the same subscription and not in separate subscriptions, but there is a chance that this could work.

could try that but these are production sites so very reluctant to play around with it just like that.

rather it would be nice if plesk would not try to think for you in this case.

in fact, what we call a domain (eg: company.com) is actually a subdomain itself. (.com is the actual top level domain, hence the name TLD), right?

so if you decide to create aa.bb.cc.dd as first domain, why would it not be allowed to create cc.dd as next domain?

Back