• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Created SPF record but tester says no TXT record

CoolBreeze

New Pleskian
Hi all,

Bit of a Plesk newbie here. I created a TXT record to define the SPF policy for a domain and it seems to be working fine. Tests ok here: http://vamsoft.com/support/tools/spf-policy-tester and also have seen an improvement in mail delivery rates.

The problem is, I've created another TXT record for a different domain on the same server, but it keeps testing with:
  • Retrieving DNS TXT record for "xxxx"
  • +1 msNo SPF policy was found in (no TXT record).
  • +0 msPolicy evaluation finished with SPF "none". No SPF policy was found.
I've updated and waited days and it still fails. I'm at my wits end here. What gives?

Kind regards

CB

Hi CoolBreeze
welcome to the forum, chances are you're actually using your Domain Registrars DNS Server so you'll need to add the SPF record there too.
I hope that helps
Kind regards

Lloyd

Hello Lloyd, Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my query. I'm afraid I don't understand. I thought the SPF record was added only to a domain's DNS zone file? That's the only place it's been added to the other domain where it's working fine.
Is there a definitive online resource that explains the syntax and parameters that I can use to construct the record manually? I've tried using a couple of online generators and they came back with differing strings.
The smtp server (X) defined in the mail client seems to relay o/g messages to the service provider's server (Y) and I've included both in the SPF record. The thing that's puzzling me is that the testers can't even find the record much less tell me there's anything wrong with it.

Update: I think I'm getting closer to the problem - both Server X and Y resolve to the same IP address. I don't understand or know why yet. I'm creating the SPF record on server X (the only one I have control over) while I'm guessing the testers' look for the record on server Y and don't find anything. A reverse DNS lookup of the IP address resolves to server Y.

Last edited:
Back