• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Creating PTR records

W

wintech2003@

Hello,

I have a 1MBps Leased Line here in Greece, and my ISP has gave me a 128 IP range (126 usuable IPs).

I asked them to setup Reverse DNS Delegation to 2 nameservers of my domain, that are hosted on a VPS (lets say ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com)

My VPS uses Plesk 7.1.6 on Virtuozzo.

What I want is to setup PTR records for every IP from the IP Range of my ISP, so that when I tracert to a computer that uses any of those IPs, I get a host that uses my domain eg. webserver.mydomain.com or wintech2003.mydomain.com

Again,

ISP -> Gives me 128 IPs -> Set's up reverse dns delegation to ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com for my IP range.

mydomain.com -> Is hosted outside the above IP range -> I have access to DNS settings via Plesk

What I want is to create PTR records for ISPs IP Range with mydomain.com host.

So my problem is that I'm a bit confused with the /8 , /16 /28 setting when I try to add a PTR from within Plesk.
What do those numbers mean in Plesk? And what should I set it to? I want to create one PTR for each IP.. so shouldn't I normally use /32 ? But there's no /32 setting.... :(

Also, I suppose I have to create a A record for each host also, don't I?

Can anydoby briefly explain to me the way to set this up?

I'm confused.. Are you trying to take your entire block of addressess and just set one pointer for the whole block that points to your single domain? Can't you just do the network address with /24 (i.e x.x.x.0/24)? Then again, I never mess with the pointers, I just let PSA setup whatever DNS it thinks it needs.

Why don't you just set them up as a pool in PSA and only worry about the IPs when you actually use one for a domain?

CIDR has always confused the hell out of me for some reason compared to the old way..:confused:

Lol, ok I'll explain it again...

All my computers have their own public IP, from the 128 IP block my ISP gave me.
Untill now they used my ISP hostname, but what I wanted was to use my own domains hostname so that my computers get recognized as something_here.mydomain.com and not something_here.myisp.com

So I asked them to setup reverse dns delegation to mydomain.com nameservers (ns1.mydomain.com and n2.mydomain.com).

So now the computers don't have a hostname because I havent' setup PTR records on ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com, they only go out to the net with their IP - but no hostname.

So what I want is to setup PTR records on ns1.mydomain.com and ns2.mydomain.com for each of the IPs from my ISPs block, so that the computers get recognized as something_here.mydomain.com.

Normally on bind I would create PTR records like this:
something1.mydomain.com -> x.y.z.1/32
something2.mydomain.com -> x.y.z.2/32
etc. etc. etc.

But PSA does not have a /32 option.. only /8, /16 and /28.....

This is what confuses me... And I would like some help on this :D

EDIT: Just to let you know: I'm not doing this for anything that has to do with hosting servers.
I just want my company's computers to use my company's domain as a host (computer1.mydomain.com, computer2.mydomain.com etc.etc.), and my company's domain is hosted on a VPS with Plesk 7.1.6, so I have to setup PTR records via Plesk

Back