• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Creating subdomains into plesk 10.2

I want to create subdomains like Plesk 9.5 into Plesk 10

• nevermind, no poll for me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
E

Edward-Dekker

Hello Everybody,

It looks like that i have some troubles for creating a subdomain into Plesk 10.2.

In the old version of Plesk 9.5 Can you create direct a subdomain and surfing to de subdomains folder by your FTP browser.

In the new way you see into the subdomain folder in to the root that now will be created into the new plesk 10.2. And I want to know if there is a way is to do it so like version 9.5.3

(Maybe that Paralelles could create a new preference into Plesk to rebuild subdomains in the old format)

Kind of Regards,
Edward

Last edited by a moderator:
It a lost cause buddy, people have been asking for the old folder structure but Plesk support isn't intent on helping anyone out, so it seems.

They keep saying how this is the new business logic and how its better than the old way. I'm not sure how, if you have 100's of sub domains then it'll be chaos in the root directory.

It's horrific. Because now users will have to create the directory before adding a subdomain. For customers who are not technically saavy, I.E. customers of those using Plesk 10 to sell hosting, it's an absolutely daunting process.

Such a simple process has now turned in to a "business logic" when really, the customer wants to create a bloody sub domain... what business logic needs to be implemented in that?

Bump

This new Plesk 10 way for subdomains is absolutely HORRIBLE.

Shame on you, Parallels, again, screwing us with your "business logic".
Seems you have no idea how we hosters work.

Could you tell more information on what is wrong with new scheme. Which option is your problem:
1. Cannot keep subdomain content in "subdomains" folder anymore? This will be fixed in the next version.
2. Your customer can set any folder and you don't like you cannot control/restrict it?
3. Something else?

Note, that
Because now users will have to create the directory before adding a subdomain
- shouldn't be a problem now. The directory is created automatically.
you see into the subdomain folder in to the root
- you can put it in any folder you like. There is temporary problem with restricted "subdomains/" folder (closed for writing due to system files are kept there), but this will change in the next version.

Here is how it will be in the next version:
jqaMH.png

H96gj.png

Could you explain what is wrong with it?

Regards

For me the biggest problem is separate subdomain FTP account.

Yes, we can create "web user"s. But we cannot set the FTP chroot (home dir of the user) by web interface! Now with Plesk 10 this means that the droids handling requests from clueless clients or dev team CAN make a subdomain, CAN even (in a difficult manner) create separate FTP user for the subdomain, but it requires an engineer/someone with root command line access to finish the job by setting the "web user" homedir to the subdomain directory.

I am 100% sure I am not the only one who sees this as real problem to business.
The whole idea of the control panel is that the server can be administered with it. If the "subdomain FTP user" (web user) cannot be wholly setup in Plesk, it contradicts the whole reason to use Plesk.

This is inconvenient, costs us time = money, is prone to errors, and then some. I really really hope I am wrong so please correct me if there is a way to create a "web user" similar to the separate subdomain FTP user in Plesk 9, 8, and god knows since how long. I simply do not understand why so much seems to be "stripped away" in Plesk 10. Don't get me wrong there's a huge amount of good stuff in there but so much is also wrong. And when can we have Plesk Expand like functionality back please?

Note: we have started to provide VPS and we will NOT be providing Parallels products for them.

OK you may skip everything after 2 paragraphs it turned into a rant. Plesk just gets my blood boiling.

Could you tell me a little more about chroot problem for FTP user? What specifically you have to configure manually? What is a specific command executed by your admin in system shell?

I.e. I've just created an additional FTP user and his home path is set exactly to a folder of a subdomain chosen:
8KdyH.png

[root@gray1 ~]# cat /etc/passwd | grep site1
site1:x:10003:504::/var/www/vhosts/********.com/site1:/bin/false

so when accessed by FTP the user is placed into the dir and cannot leave it
230 User site1 logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||33338|)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file list
drwxr-xr-x 2 site1 psacln 4096 Aug 25 14:38 css
-rwxr-xr-x 1 site1 psacln 17542 Aug 25 14:38 favicon.ico
drwxr-xr-x 6 site1 psacln 4096 Aug 25 14:38 img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 site1 psacln 10198 Aug 25 14:38 index.html
drwxr-xr-x 11 site1 psacln 4096 Aug 25 14:38 test
226 Transfer complete
ftp> cd ..
250 CWD command successful
ftp> ls
229 Entering Extended Passive Mode (|||53344|)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for file list
drwxr-xr-x 2 site1 psacln 4096 Aug 25 14:38 css
-rwxr-xr-x 1 site1 psacln 17542 Aug 25 14:38 favicon.ico
drwxr-xr-x 6 site1 psacln 4096 Aug 25 14:38 img
-rwxr-xr-x 1 site1 psacln 10198 Aug 25 14:38 index.html
drwxr-xr-x 11 site1 psacln 4096 Aug 25 14:38 test
226 Transfer complete
ftp> pwd
Remote directory: /
ftp> exit
221 Goodbye.

How is it different from isolation of FTP user in Plesk 8 or Plesk 9?

I agree that creating FTP user for each subdomain can be higher convenience. We'll add it definitely.

Regards

OK, I apologize for wasting your time.
I used the "Plesk 9" way and tried to create a "web user" instead of the "Additional FTP accounts".

Thank you for pointing to right direction.

I concur the new subdomain functionality is just fine then, a few more clicks but we can live with that. "Additional FTP accounts" provides more flexibility than the "web user" in Plesk 9 and is indeed an improvement.

OK, very tricky, but perhaps there is a reason for the new schema (???)
And now, what if a user need to access cgi-bin folder of a subdomain (via FTP)?
The scenario: domain.com with several subdomains subsite1.domain.com, subsite2.domain.com... eachone managed by a diferente user.
In the new structure I have:
/subdomains/subsite1/cgi-bin
/subdomains/subsite1/conf
/subdomains/subsite1/errors
for "special" folders
and
/subsite1/
for webpages folder

(like for subsite2 and subsite3....)

Well how create an FTP for each user with access to both /subdomains/subsite1 and /subsite1/httpdocs? Impossible.

Indeed I can't imagine the reason of this strange schema. I think a software like Plesk Panel must simplify the management of sites, but this new version doesn't.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi!

How to make the default is the "/subdomains/<sub name>/" , not site1 ?

Any ideas ?

Best regards,

Well how create an FTP for each user with access to both /subdomains/subsite1 and /subsite1/httpdocs? Impossible.
Yes, it was impossible yet, though it was only required for cgi-bin scripts I think. So if no CGI scripts, user should not need to access anything besides their docroot.

No solution

That is not an answer, or at least, it's not a fix for the problem. If a user needs access to CGI folder he can't!!
I suppose I have to change (by hand!!) config file for the subdomain and create an script-alias, but....
I hope next update fix this error.

Hello,

You may be interested in evaluating recent 10.4 preview as it introduces strong subdomain refactoring, probably addressing major portion of your concerns. Specifically CGI location is addressed, no strange restriction on putting subdomains in subdomains/ folder (as you did in 8.x/9.x), enabled Web Presence Builder (formerly Sitebuilder) and more.

Regards

Hi, I have tried and tried to create a sub-domain but it just won't allow me to. I followed your directions and when I type in the Document root text box this - subdomains/myname it shows an error saying "The specified directory contains a service directory" how on earth can I create a subdomain in the subdomains folder if it won't let me. I have to agree with almost everyone on the forums, this new version of Plesk is absolutely useless and extremely frustrating. I use ver 9 on another server and have no problems at all. But on my new server I've had for over a month now I still haven't been able to get anything up on it. I have read the Administrator's Guide and the Control Panel User's Guide and I still can't do the simple task of create a subdomain in the subdomain folder. PLEASE put me out of my misery with some intelligent help and guidance.
Regards
Michele

MicheleM,

"subdomains/myname" is enabled in 10.4 (pre-production now). Apparently you have earlier version.

Regards

I have only just purchased and installed Parallels within the last few weeks so why doesn't my version work properly. I would have thought that as the instructions on how to create a subdomain are in the documentation for my version that it should actually be able to do what it describes.

I have checked and my Plesk is set to automatically upgrade/update, so wouldn't I have the most recent version?

I would really appreciate some help here as I'm running out of time and patience.

Thanks
Michele

Last edited by a moderator:
It is recommended to keep Plesk up2date for access for all its features and receiving all fixes. Upcoming 10.4 includes many fixes for subdomains. It shall be available for upgrade in late November.

Regards

But I have it set to update automatically and I even tried to update manually and it won't. Why have you charged me for a version that doesn't work? I don't want to wait until the end of November to get something that I paid for and expected to be able to use in October.

Back