• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Critical Bug Plesk 10.3 Centos 5.6 and Postfix

B

BerndN

Just with pure luck we found a critical bug which is causing email to vanish.

If an email user is created and you use uppercase letters in Plesk, postfix will not be able to route incoming emails because postfix assumes lowercase emailnames instead of lower/uppercase.

Problem is that this email will simply be dropped so the sender as well as the recipient don't notice.

Luckily we found this critical bug today after 2 days running Centos 5.6, Plesk 10.3 and Postfix. All up2date.

Would be great to have this fixed as right now I can use the telephone and call the customers to be careful when creating an email user but I will forget this in a couple of weeks.

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Parallels Plesk Panel 10.3 PSA 10.3.0-cos5.build1012110629.18
CentOS release 5.6 64bit
2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri Jul 15 07:31:24 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Postfix postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
If a email user is created in a domain with uppercase characters in the name like 'Foobar'@domainname
you will see the following postfix error when an email for this user arrives:

postfix-local[21403]: recipient[3] = 'foobar@domainname'
postfix-local[21403]: handlers dir = '/usr/local/psa/handlers/before-local/recipient/foobar@domainname'
postfix-local[21403]: cannot chdir to mailname dir foobar: No such file or directory
postfix-local[21403]: Unknown user: foobar@domainname

ACTUAL RESULT

Email vanish

EXPECTED RESULT

Email to be delivered

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

The created directory which the clients polls via his email program is
pop3d: 1311658583.360212 LOGOUT, user=Foobar@domainname, ip=[::ffff:xx.xxx.xxx.xxx], top=0, retr=0, time=0, rcvd=12, sent=38, maildir=/var/qmail/mailnames/domainname/Foobar/Maildir

Thank you. I have forwarded it to developers. Let's wait their answer.

It is well known serious problem which couldn't be decided in this request. Because it touches a lot of places into BL, backend and API. Will be fixed in a future releases.

As workaround you should not use mixed case e-mail addresses at all. And rename mailbox to lowercase.

Thanks a lot Igor for taking the time to report back and to honestly gave this info.
Like I wrote I talked to the customer who have the rights to manage there own subscription so lucky enough the error was found very fast. The problem with an error like this is that you can't imagine how much people trust emails with orders and offers, even if it's worth of thousands of euros and not ask back to make sure the recipient has received the email.

Back