• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Decommissioning a hacked Plesk/CentOS 7/Plesk web server, and migrating all sites to CentOS 7/Plesk

Huey Tinman

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
CentOS 7
Plesk version and microupdate number
Unregistered fresh install.
Hello, I am currently running a Plesk Web Hosting Edition Server on CentOS 7, An IT tech ran off with the Cent OS root and administrator passwords. So were standing up a new server and plan to migrate all the sites over and decommission the old server. I plan to add a second NIC card to the new server and apply the LAN ip used by the hacked server. Im my Windows world this would effortlessly bring in all the DNS mapping. Is this going to work in this CentOS 7 / Plesk environment also? or am i wishful thinking?

Technically you can add as many IPs and interfaces as you like, but you will need to tell Plesk which IP on which interface shall be used for what. This can be done in the Tools & Settings > Tools & Resources > IP Addresses option. It would be good to have the configuration as close or identical to the current configuration though if you want to keep the existing IP.

Is there any specific reason why you want to retain the existing IP? When you migrate to a new Plesk server, Plesk Migrator can automatically migrate content and update the IP address of the subscription and domain configurations of the target host for you.

Good to know thanks, Peter. Well, I could change the mapping from the public IP to the private IP at the firewall. But in my case I can turn the nic cards up or down at the VM level. And not bring in the firewall cat! This way going live is a couple of clicks away and reverting is a snap when it all starts to smoke! I see how this would result in an odd configuration in Plesk. Are you recommending against this?

Back