• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Default sitebuild/plesk site installation

T

terrychapman

Default sitebuilder/plesk site location and user accounts

Hello all,

I'm new to Sitebuilder, so there may be an easy answer to these questions. These questions are specific to automatically publishing Sitebuilder using Plesk.

1) When publishing Sitebuilder via the integration with Plesk, the site publishes to www.domainname.com/site. When you navigate to www.domainname.com a redirection directs the surfer to the /site folder. Is there anyway to automatically publish Sitebuilder to the root of the domain instead of the /site folder?

2) I am investigating setting up a service that would require that each new user be assigned a subdomain and a user account to access that subdomain. I can see that I am able to assign an FTP account for each new subdomain which allows the FTP upload, but I do not see a way to assign a separate Sitebuilder account for each new subdomain. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks,

Terry

Still waiting for a response...

The other threads in this forum are being answered in due course!
Are my questions too hard or too easy for the moderators?!

Hi,
1. No, the publishing goes to the subfolder intentionally. SiteBuilder publishes not just a bunch of files; it's a full-blown web application. And it may interfere with the other applications residing in the domain sub-folders.
Publishing to the root may be safe for the "static-only" publishign mode. I.e. if the site does not use any dynamic modules (neither page nor block ones).

2. Could you please specify the Plesk/SiteBuilder versions and OS platform? As far as I know, the recent Plesk versions create an additional SiteBuilder account per every subdomain.

Further info

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.
1) I may not have explained my purpose clearly. If I have three users with (let's say) three subdomains user1.domainname.com, user2.domainname.com, user3.domainname.com, respectively - I would like SiteBuilder to published at the root of each of these subdomains rather than under the site folder (e.g. Sitebuilder should be published under user1.domainname.com rather than user1.domainname.com/site). I'm sure that this must be possible, but have not found the setting to amend!

2) The latest versions of both Plesk and Sitebuilder on Windows 2003 Standard edition. During my testing I have found that if you create a new domain under Plesk and elect to publish Sitebuilder with this process then a new Sitebuilder account is created for that domain. However subdomains created under this domain do not create new Sitebuilder accounts, but use the Sitebuilder account created under the original domain. As in my example above, I would like user1, user2 and user3 Sitebuilder accounts created respectively for each of the subdomains. Again this may be possible and I may have not configured Plesk/Sitebuilder correctly to do this.

In both cases I would appreciate if you could let me know the specific setting to amend to achieve the intended purpose.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Terry

Hello Terry,
I understood your demand to have the SiteBuilder store files at the sites root. As I explained previously, there may be other applications installed on your subdomains. And in order to isolate applications from each other, it is necessary to place each into a separate folder. We know this is not too convenient, and we thinking on improving that in the future versions of Plesk and SiteBuilder, but as of yet we have no other option.

2. You are right - the subdomains do not create any separate accounts in SiteBuilder. This copies the Plesk behavior: subdomains do not have separate logins; they are controlled by the main domain account. Since subdomains are treated as a part of the domain in the ownership model, their sites in SiteBuilder are also assigned to the same domain account. Plesk anyway won't provide granular security control for those; for example, FTP access is granted at the domain level, and all the subdomains are equally accessible. Therefore, it wouldn't make sense to have separate SiteBuilder accounts for subdomains.

I suggest you create normal domains instead of subdomains in case you need to separate the user accounts.

OK. Thanks for your quick response on the last pass.
I was hoping for a little more flexibility in both cases.
Interestingly, when I originally trialled Sitebuilder without Plesk there was no issue with publishing to the root of the subdomain/domain.
I guess that I will need to delve into the API's to accomplish these tasks.

Hi Terry,
Of course there were no problems in publishing to the root w/o Plesk - there was noone to care about multiple applications running on the same domain. Plesk has a notion of the app vault, so it has to ensure stable work of the subdomain regardless of the selected subset of Plesk Apps.

Back