• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

desperatly need help with ns

S

starving_artist

i am trying to setup my main domain on my new virtual server...i have no idea what i'm doing.

i get this error when i run a dsn report from dsnreport.coms

A timeout occurred getting the NS records from your nameservers! None of your nameservers responded fast enough. They are probably down or unreachable. I can't continue since your nameservers aren't responding. If you have a Watchguard Firebox, it's due to a bug in their DNS Proxy, which must be disabled.

what is the next step to fixing this problem, i'm out of ideas...

thanks in advance

I made changes mimicing that tutorial and now my dsn report says the following:

ERROR: Timed out getting NS data from parent server. Probably not an issue on your end

what is going on

It would help if you would post your DNS records for your default domain that you have in Plesk.

do these look correct?

settings under server dns

<domain>. NS ns1.scottthornton.com.
<domain>. NS ns2.scottthornton.com.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip> / 24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

settings under the domain scottthornton.com

scottthornton.com. NS ns1.scottthornton.com.
scottthornton.com. NS ns2.scottthornton.com.
scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
webmail.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
mail.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
ns1.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
ns2.scottthornton.com. A 72.22.80.72
ftp.scottthornton.com. CNAME scottthornton.com.
www.scottthornton.com. CNAME scottthornton.com.
scottthornton.com. MX (10) mail.scottthornton.com.
72.22.80.72 / 24 PTR scottthornton.com.

Your DNS settings look correct. I was able to ping both NS1 and NS2 servers with a response. So I went to DNSREPORTS to run the test. I received the error you mentioned above regardless of what domain name I used ( I tried 5 different domains ). I would guess the DNSReports.com is having a problem right now. Are your websites displaying properly?

I don't think you need to post in more than 1 forum. I left the answer in the other. Your domain gives the error you mention, my domain reports as fine at this time.

DNS Report looks much more healthy now.

The issue I mentioned above is still current, you really should have name server addresses delegated to different IP address. This will cause you further problems.

The open DNS warning is telling you that anyone can use your DNS server to do DNS lookups. You can make it so as only lookups for sites on your server can be done by adding a line to named.conf. Viral spamming agents will exploit this.

Nameservers on seperate class Cs is asking if you are using two servers on different class C networks for primary and secondary DNS. You DNS servers should be geographically dispersed (in different parts of the world). This is an issue caused by your namesever delegation as mentioned earlier.

SOA Serial Number is self explanatory.

Reverse DNS entries for MX records I believe is an issue caused by your namesever delegation as mentioned earlier.

Mail server host name in greeting is self explanatory.

SPF Record is where you specify the mailserver used to send mail for a specific domain. For customers domains this is difficult to keep up to date unless they tell you if they change the mailserver they use to send mail. The risk of not using this is that some servers may check that the server specified in the SPF record is the server named in the mail header, if not it will be interpretted as spoofed mail.

Based on the above your server should be live and its domains active, but my advice is to solve the first 2 as your top priority.

Back