• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Disappointment of Plesk

K

kobis

I just want to tell who wants to hear that you need think twice before any upgrade to version 8.6.
I have been upgraded 3 servers to the last version.

Server 1: Control panel stopped working.
a. The installer has been deleted my license.
b. Statistics.exe stopped working.
c. Application pools randomly got "Service Unavailable"
75$ to SWSOFT solved problem a.

Server 2: Control panel stopped working.
a. The installer has been deleted my license.
b. Statistics.exe stopped working.
c. Application pools randomly got "Service Unavailable"

Now, i reinstalled the license by the command line in order to find out that the database has not being upgraded and a missing column has been detected.
SWSOFT fixed it for me with no charge after 4 days.

Upgrade number 3:
a. Statistics.exe stopped working.
b. Application pools randomly got "Service Unavailable"

Then i notified of the new patch 8.6.1.
After installing the Patch i got these errors:
ASP.NET sites has been stopped working on all three servers.
Change to shared pool and back to dedicated pool solved the problem.
All custom permissions has been reset. Sites that write to database in the "Private" folder throws an error.
At least 20 sites on all servers found without permissions to IWPD_user to the wwwroot folder so they can't run theirs ASP.NET applications.

the plesk CP is a JOKE!
It's the worst control panel ever. I never seen something like this before. Every time I am upgrading the CP, I have troubles. All of the upgrades ever (since 7.5) broke the statistics.exe
Statistics.exe is running for 12-23 hours every day!!! Do you beleive?

I started with Ensim 3.6, Ensim 4, Ensim 5, Plesk 7.5-8.6 and DotNetPanel. All of the upgrades were smooth without any problems.
For my opinion ,Plesk CP is the worst software ever (not only control panel).

I wonder if all other software sold by Parallels has these amount of problems/lack-of-support. I'm interested in the Mac-PC "cross-Platform" made by parallels but.... Parallels seems to be just a cool web with just a couple of programmers guys behind...

My control panel stopped working after the upgrade. It's going to cost me 75$ to SWSOFT. I think they are making thier money breaking the upgrade and making us pay to fix it.

Ya. I have been really disappointed with the lack of quality coming from Parallels lately. We're still running 8.3 on most our servers because of all of the problems that the newer versions have (oh, and whatever you do, don't run Plesk on x64 with Windows 2008!)

A week ago I even filed some bug reports with very detailed "This is how you make plesk give errors" steps. The response I got back? "Dear Mr. Valenti, if you don't want Plesk to give you errors, then don't do those steps." Sheesh!

I'm not disappointed with Plesk. I'm disappointed with 8.6.0.1. One one of my servers it has basically completely screwed up file permissions, and the reconfigurator isn't helping. IUSR disappeared from random folders which would screw up IIS anonymous access. Plesk domain user has also gone one some sites which makes files invisible through FTP. There's also something very bizarre with php include paths and website root directories. File inclusion with relative paths starting with '.' for the web root seems to not work but I think I'm going to track that issue down.

With all the work I've done to restore functionality to all the broken websites, I'm scared to even consider installing 8.6.0.3 and going through all this again.

I'm dissapointed in 8.6.0.3, see my topic. Bad experience for an newbie. Mail Enable stopped working!

I have the same problem... I upgrade to Plesk 8.6 AND I can't access to Control Panel now, when I open the login page I have this problem:

Notice: Undefined index: FULL_PROD_NAME in C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\admin\plib\common_func.php3 on line 47

I try to:
- restore old plesk's php file
- contact to forum
- contact the moderator

The solution is pay for resolve the problem $75 but is a bad commercial policy, If Plesk relase a new upgrade and a new upgrade create problem, we pay for plesk's programmers incompetence!!!!!

Plesk's staff are criminal AND with my company we want to tell our experience to over 60.000 members of our community... are Developers AND programmers and is very important to spread the Plesk's commercial policy!

I'm Tired!! each upgrade create problems...we pay for become a plesk's beta tester!

I think SWSOFT need to change their support policy and separate it between two cases:
Supports tickets related to defects, bugs in the software or bad patches installation experience should be totally free (See MailEnable and other server software vendors) while support tickets regarding user faults should be paid as much as SWSOFT want.
If the patch does not updating the database, or it's braking the CP, or in my case deletes the license (Do you believe? I Paid for this!) the customer absolutely not need to pay SWSOFT to fix their serious bugs. If the patch removes folder permissions (Who give SWSOFT the rights to change permissions on existing production websites) they need at least to apologize and quickly give us FREE professional help to solve the issue made by their own company.

I asked them the same question and they came back with some condeluded answer. We are complaining to a company that has 0 tolerance for reasonable questions.

I'm not disappointed with Plesk.

Don't worry, you soon will be. Plesk updates almost always cost me time and money, so eventually you will be disappointed. That's what this company is good at, is screwing up your server, by there untested updates.

Great Software when it works.

Yep - Parallels Products ****

It is really sad that the only big player left in hosting software has a really crappy product. We have been back and forth so many times with their support team about bugs and defects it is crazy. The typical response we get is something like "If Feature X in plesk is breaking, then don't use Feature X - Issue Closed".

The bad thing, I love the software. The latest Virtuozzo is rock solid. Won't update it for awhile. Also finally got Plesk 8.6 working again after the latest build screwed it up. It's their updates that stink, because there is no way they do any thorough testing before release. What is bad about the product, is it has always been their fault for the problems caused by the updates and then you get zero support for their mess up, without paying for it. Then they act like they never even heard of the problems, even though they are posted all over their own forum.

It is really sad that the only big player left in hosting software has a really crappy product. We have been back and forth so many times with their support team about bugs and defects it is crazy. The typical response we get is something like "If Feature X in plesk is breaking, then don't use Feature X - Issue Closed".

I don't think they're the only player. Just because they're on a buying frenzy it doesn't mean they're the only one. cPanel and other competitors need to step it up IMO to capture that side of the market that hasn't been assimilated.

I also think that their Russian seriousness is detrimental to customers. They need to build a little bit of sympathy and understanding of how small businesses provide the funding for this conglomerate... I made a decision to use Plesk, I regret it from time to time but I can't go back now, so it is what it is.

Then they act like they never even heard of the problems, even though they are posted all over their own forum.

Ignorance is bliss! They act that way because that means that they have to fix an issue and provide support at no cost, which sums to no profits. They have a really good business management team IMO...

Consider yourself the first beta tester for their future software releases!

PS. Their US sales people are often too defensive or just ignore emails for a day or two.

I'm getting really discouraged with Plesk. I'm fast approaching the point where I'm going to format the damn server and start all over.

I'm paying around 80 bucks a month to lease a "control panel package' that does a poor job of installing and configuring programs that are, for the most part, free open source programs that I can get, install and control without paying money for them. I'd just have to do it manually, which is a pain.

When I first leased this "package", I thought I was getting a good deal and it would save me a lot of time and effort on my end, but that has not turned out to be the case.

The support that SWSoft provides is in my opinion very poor. When I have a problem such as this, I need someone to talk to while I'm sitting at the server so we can fix the damn thing. Waiting a day or so for someone to answer a message via email or thru a forum I can get for free. I will say this tho, I get much better responce via the forum then with email. Email usually takes 2 or 3 days for an answer.

A issue I haven't been able to figgure out (but because its not a major problem at this time I havent asked for assistance with), is the fact that on several of my sites I've installed Joomla, PHPBB, DotNetNuke, and a few other applications on, and all of a sudden they no longer show up in the control panel. They still work, so its not a major problem at this time.

Disappointment...

Well...

I agree with almost all of you... My opinion is that Plesk is trying to put new versions too fast on the market and thing get broken... I had done 3 upgrades in last year and I must admit at every uopgrade I had manuali to repair something.

Thanks to all the people in forum that help - I found 2 solutions in forum.

Plesk... if you are reading please try to make more "booletproof" upgrades...

Thanks.

Back