• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Disk space miscalculation after an e-mail address is changed from local mailbox to forward only

Bitpalast

Plesk addicted!
Plesk Guru
TITLE:
Disk space miscalculation after an e-mail address is changed from local mailbox to forward only
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Onyx 17.5, latest MU, Centos 7.3
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
A customer has a subscription that is only used for a single e-mail address. He first set-up the address to do two things: 1) forward all incoming mail to an external address, 2) store all incoming mail to the local mailbox.

Then he deleted the setting that all incoming mail is stored in a local mailbox.

The statistics recalculation however still takes the "old" mailbox size into account, despite that there is apparently no such mailbox left on the server. Only after deleting the e-mail address and re-creating it statistics re-calculate the subscription size correctly.​
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
1) Create an e-mail address with a local mailbox storage and a forward to an external address.
2) Send that box some large mails.
3) Run statistics manually.
/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/statistics --calculate-one --domain-name=<domain>
This will give you the correct size of the subscription.
4) In the e-mail address uncheck the "mailbox" option so that only the external fowarding remains.
5) Run statistics manually, again.
This will still give you the size including the mail corpus that should have been deleted by removing the mailbox. Re-run statistics as often as you like, it will not remove the previous mailbox size from calculation.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
Wrong total size calculation that includes the size of the deleted mailbox.​
EXPECTED RESULT:
Correct total size calculation that is no longer adding the size of the mailbox that no longer exists.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

From developer:

The unchecked mailbox support does not remove the existent maildir++ directory. As result, the statistics utility calculates mailbox dir size. And as far as I see it is the correct behaviour.

1. Disable mailbox support.
2. Check mailbox directory:
[root@a10-52-38-233 psa-roundcube]# du -sh /var/qmail/mailnames/a10-52-38-233.qa.plesk.ru/
176K /var/qmail/mailnames/a10-52-38-233.qa.plesk.ru/

WORKAROUND:
Cleanup mailbox before this one will be disabled.

Yes, o.k., but it cannot be a correct behavior, because with this argumentation it means that a mailbox content remains on server forever, if a mailbox is disabled. Why should the content stay on the server if a mailbox is disabled? Just asking. Not a big problem, but I'd think that when someone shuts a mailbox off, the content of that mailbox is removed, too.

Why should the content stay on the server if a mailbox is disabled? Just asking. Not a big problem, but I'd think that when someone shuts a mailbox off, the content of that mailbox is removed, too.
Peter, I would call it a "political decision". I think this can be formalized as a feature request on UserVoice for further consideration not by developers, but by Program Managers.

Back