• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Disable local mail delivery

Adeko

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.59 #2
Hi all,

I have an issue that i can not find a correct answer to for a while now.
Office 365 makes it very difficult to use regular smtp so that a webshop on Plesk can send E-mails from an Office 365 account.

Since our customers would like to continue using Office 365 we have setup the following:

Plesk E-mail server that has the domain example.com
Different server running a webshop that uses smtp to connect to this Plesk E-mail server to use [email protected] to send and recieve E-mails.
Office 365 with many E-mail accounts for example: [email protected].

Now if the webshop sends a new order E-mail to [email protected] it will never arrive since Plesk will recognise example.com as a local domain that already exists and it will attempt to deliver the E-mail locally which fails because only [email protected] exists.
I know that disabling incoming E-mail for a domain solves the issue of same-server delivery as shown in this post but i would like to recieve E-mails on this [email protected] account too.

Is it not just possible to disable the check if a domain exists locally and always force postfix/plesk to lookup the mx records and send it over the internet?
A server-wide or domain/subscription specific a mailsetting that just says "allow E-mails to be delivered locally" that you can uncheck would be amazing, but if this has to be done by editing some postfix/plesk config files in linux that is fine too.

Is it not just possible to disable the check if a domain exists locally and always force postfix/plesk to lookup the mx records and send it over the internet?
A server-wide or domain/subscription specific a mailsetting that just says "allow E-mails to be delivered locally" that you can uncheck would be amazing, but if this has to be done by editing some postfix/plesk config files in linux that is fine too.
Not directly from Plesk. I am sure that you can modify the Postfix configuration to get this done. But that might break Plesk. So I would advice against that.

You've setup is rather unique. The most obvious solution would be to let the webserver, on which the webshop is hosted, send email directly. Alternatively you can consider using another domain for handling the webshop's email. Could be as simple as using a sub domain (ie: email.example.com). But rather than adding the sub domain as a sub domain in Plesk, add it as a full domain. That way you can created mailboxes for it.

So if i add mail.example.com and then make an E-mail account: [email protected] it will not see that as example.com being the main domain?
Meaning that if i send from [email protected] to [email protected] that will not trigger the local delivery?
Yes. Provided that the main domain (example.com) isn't available on the Plesk server (ie has been removed), or that the mail service for the main domain is disabled or configured for sending only.

Back