• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Behind Router

T

TopSpec

Hi everyone. I have searched all over the internet and found other people with the same problem as me but ive not managed to find the solution.

I have a broadband connection coming into my shop, this goes straight into a Linksys router. I currently have DNS, HTTP and POP/SMTP ports redirected to one computer that i am using as a server. I then have another computer connected to the router but this has no services running on it so it just acts as a normal PC.

With one of my domain names i set the name servers to point to my shops static IP address. These get forwarded to the DNS server fine but the problem is, unless you are on the inside of my network you cannot see any websites hosted on my server. The DNS server reports that the website is hosted on 192.168.1.101, obviously this is why it is not accessible from the outside because its a private address.

The only trouble is i am using plesk to host the web stuff and the DNS server, so if i change the DNS entries to point to the shop IP, the router will re-direct it ok but then Plesk says that there is not a website on that IP.

I am hoping that there is some kind of easy method to solve this with my router but unfortunatley i dont know a great deal about DNS and routing, only the basics of port forwarding etc.

If anyone can help me solve this problem i would be very greatfull.

Best Regards
Lewis

Actually you should setup DNS to point domains to public ip addresses to allow it became accessible from outside. Requests to public ip addresses will be transferred to private ip addresses by your router and in this case domains will be visible from outside but not from internal network. If you also want to access domains from internal network then you should set up workstations to resolve domain names and process requests to domains from workstations by router.

Back