• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS forwarding and A records

P

pstechnology

I wonder if anyone can help me out here.

A client of mine has about 20 domains that they currently don't want to do anything with. They just want the domain name to forward onto another. In other words when an end user types in www.mydomain.com into their address bar it takes them to www.myotherdomain.com instead. The latter domain name is not hosted on my plesk box.

That's easy enough. Instead of using up precious domain licences I just modified the DNS entry with my host (1&1) to point the domain names at the IP address of www.myotherdomain.com which has an exclusive IP address.

The problem is this. In the address bar of the browser, it still shows the domain name the end user typed in, not the domain name of the site they were forwarded to.

Is there anyway of implementing this solution so that the end user continues to get forwarded to the other domain, and at the same time the address bar is updated with the new domain name they were forwarded to.

Currently these 20 domains just point at the default page on the Plesk server, so they are not using up my quota of domain licences, which is what I want to avoid.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Back