• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question DNS: How to configure MX for server change

speedbird

Basic Pleskian
Alright dear pleskians, I do need help – or clarification to be precise ;)

What I want to do is to move accounts from my current plesk server to a new plesk server without causing any issues for the mail users.

So current setup is as follows:

Current MX record: mail.currentdomain.com

All users use this domain, which is SSL secured, to connect to the mailserver.

I plan on setting up a second plesk server where these accounts will be moved to.

New server MX record: liam.newdomain.com

Now... How can I achieve it per DNS to redirect users to the new server without them having to make any changes to their configuration or their mail client throwing error because of wrong certs?

My idea so far was to create a CNAME which basically redirects mail.currentdomain.com to liam.newdomain.com but I'm not quite sure if that's the way to go.

So I need your help. How can every user still use mail.currentdomain.com in their mail programms but is redirected without any trouble to the new server because it's going to be a mess if everybody needs to adjust their accounts on every freaking device they own.

That only works if the new server knows it's supposed to answer to and has the cert for mail.currentdomain.com.
Much easier to set up plesk with the same old domain name and switch DNS over at some point. You'll need to copy the certs from the old to the new server though.

What mow said. Set the the TTL of the domain very low, like 5 minutes, wait 24 hours so it propagated everywhere and switch to the new server.

Back