• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS on Linux & Windows

J

jjjheimer

I just can't seem to figure this out. Here's the background - I've setup 2 DNS servers
ns1.mydomain.com
ns2.mydomain.com

They point to different machines - one linux with Plesk Reloaded 7.5 and one windows web 2k3 with Plesk 7. The linux box is the first nameserver. It contains an NS record pointing to the IP of the windows server. I've configured a handful of domains on the linux machine (also NS1, but different IPs) and everything is great. However, when I setup a domain on the second machine (NS2) it can't be resolved. I read about the somewhat involved task of configuring the machines to become secondaries to each other. Is this what is required to make domains on the window machine (NS2) resolve correctly? Where does the master/slave relationship apply?
Thx jjj

If you have a domain configured in ns1 and ns2 (by that I mean the 'whois' records and you have 2 'NS' entries in the zone file), then you must have a master configured on one of those name servers and the other must be a slave. This is pretty easy on Plesk, on the machine that's configured as slave add the domain as you have on the master server, go into DNS and click "switch". It will then as for an IP address, enter the IP for the master server and bingo, you're set.

Clear as mud, eh?

Thanks for the response. Ok, so if I understand correctly its not sufficient to setup mydomain.com, the nameserver domain, in Plesk on only one machine. It must also be added to, in my case, the windows box and set as slave. Is this the only case where the 'switch' to slave is used? So, with this in place if I add a client domain on the ns2 (windows) machine I don't have to add this domain to plesk on the ns1 machine as well right?

One more question, on the second machine NS2. What type of hosting should mydomain.com use? Or is it enough to just add the DNS setting without setting a hosting type.

Back