• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS question - 2 servers, same domain, etc

L

lpittman

Howdy,

I'd like to add a second server to my offerings, but am not quite sure how to go about setting it up. Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is give all my customers the same name servers (ns1. and ns2.) and leave the rest up to the server (s) to figure out.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated, I've been messing around with this for hours but am not getting anywhere.

Thanks

Luke

First of all you need to configure the dns server at the Top Level Domain level with your registrar.

if you have registered nameserver.com you need to add the nameservers you want to use:

ns1.nameserver.com = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
ns2.nameserver.com = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

(it's important to fill in the IP addresses, only for use with nameservers)

Then you need to configure that domain in plesk with the correct DNS settings.

A = ns1.nameserver.com = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
A = ns2.nameserver.com = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
NS = ns1.nameserver.com
NS = ns2.nameserver.com

All the other domains need to have only:

NS = ns1.nameserver.com
NS = ns2.nameserver.com

don't forget to create the other records for www , ftp, webmail etc.

If you want to use 2 servers, just add the domain to the two servers or create a slave server for this domain.

Thank you for the reply Beto.

You started to touch on my question in your second reply, but didn't quite give me enough to work with. Would you mind expand on running two servers?

Luke

First set ns1.domain.com to server 1 and ns2.domain.com to server 2

Create the domain on the two servers:

- go to the dns settings of the second domain and click on "switch"

- then click on "add new record" and fill in the IP address of the primary server.

Now you have set-up the secondary dns server BUT you need to allow them to do a zone transfer between the two servers.

-> server -> DNS -> Transfer restriction -> Fill in the ip address of the server that may do a zone transfer.

If this isn't correct you will see an error message in /var/log/messages
Hope this will help you

Back