• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

DNS Records - Change Via Domain Registrar or Plesk?

Scott78

New Pleskian
Hello all

Although still a novice, I have been using Plesk on a couple of VPS servers for a while now, building a few basic websites which I've managed to muddle my way through.

However, there are a few fundamental things about DNS which I can't quite get my head around and can never find simple explanations for. Whenever I purchase a domain I currently leave its Nameservers with the registrar and set a DNS A Record to point to my VPS. I've read that it's best to do this because changing the Nameservers to my VPS would use up extra resources? But, I can never quite work out the correct way to do things from there. So, could some kind soul answer me these simple questions:

1) Should I leave NS with the registrar and point an A record to my VPS IP?
2) If so, what about the other DNS records? Do I change those with the domain registrar or on the VPS via Plesk?

I'm currently using Plesk v11.0.09 on a Windows server.

Thanks
Scott

Back