• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS Setup Question

P

purpleman51

Hello!

I have set up my global DNS template for domains:

<domain>. NS ns3.shatfield.net.
<domain>. NS ns4.shatfield.net.
<domain>. A <ip>
<domain>. MX (10) mail.<domain>.
<ip>/24 PTR <domain>.
ftp.<domain>. CNAME <domain>.
mail.<domain>. A <ip>
webmail.<domain>. A <ip>

Question 1: Do I need the PTR record?

Question 2: The domain listed for nameservers is a domain dedicated for nameserver user only. What should the DNS record for that domain look like?

Thanks and cheers!
Stephen

PTR records are needed if your provider has delegated reverse DNS lookups for your IPs to that server. I don't know of too many hosting providers that do this.

So if your provider isn't delegating the reverse resolution of the IPs to your server, you can remove it without issue.

The DNS for shatfield.net should include A records that map ns3 and ns4 to the correct IP addresses. These are sometimes called "glue records" and are used when root servers only provide the nameserver, and not the IP address.

Other than that, there isn't anything special for a domain that is just handling DNS.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information!

My hosting provider is me so I think I can remove the PTR record.

Thanks again,
Stephen

When I said hosting provider I meant the company that is providing you the server and the connectivity.

So more aptly "Server Provider".

Hello once more-

My dedicated server is sitting under my desk here at home. As of right now, I have the following ports open on the DSL/router:
TCP: 21, 53, 80, 443
UDP: 21, 53, 80, 443

My son can see the index.html page for the public IP for the linux server: 76.204.84.170

I (and he) cannot see penguinguy.net

Still having problems (In think) with my DNS setup. Below is my DNS setup for my nameserver domain (I have added a different one, in case you notice the change):

76.204.84.170/24 PTR shatfield.com.
ftp.shatfield.com. CNAME shatfield.com.
ns1.shatfield.com. A 76.204.84.172
ns2.shatfield.com. A 76.204.84.173
shatfield.com. NS ns1.shatfield.com.
shatfield.com.NS ns2.shatfield.com.
shatfield.com. A 76.204.84.170

Is this correct for using shatfield.com as a nameserver only?

Also, would you look at the DNSreport output for penguinguy.net and guide me in the right direction to yield a correct output?

Do I need an A record for the hostname of the linux server?

Thanks the third!
Stephen

Back