• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS setup

B

BigBr0thr

Hello,
I'm currently investigating if plesk is a better solution for me then my current panel, Directadmin.
After studying the manuals and reading a lot of posts on this forum, 1 thing (yet) is not clear to me.
After installing Plesk on a spare server i noticed there was nothing to setup DNS. In DirectAdmin (DA) there was a option u could allocate 2 ip's to your DNS-servers.
How does Plesk handels the default DNS setup ??
Is the first DNS server on the same ip as your box ?? and how do i add a second ip-adress??
I played around a littel bit, and followed the advice ive read somewhere to register my DNS-servers with my registar.
Unfortunate thisone doesnt accept my change because it cant find a valid DNS-server on those ip's.
Please some advice.

Regards,
Harry

see the screenshoot below. It allows you to add ip-numbers as much as you want. I would recommend only to add maximul 255 ip-numbers. After adding 2 ip-numbers, you can run these 2 ip-numbers as your DNS. No other registrars or any other dns-providers are necessary anymore. :)

Thnz, for the reply.
I dont see any SS, but i think ive found the way to add the ip's.
But how do i allocate those 2 ip's to the DNS-service with Plesk ??

Originally posted by BigBr0thr
Thnz, for the reply.
I dont see any SS, but i think ive found the way to add the ip's.
But how do i allocate those 2 ip's to the DNS-service with Plesk ??

No idea why my screenshoot did not appear here. Well, adding ip-numbers:

server --> Server Administration --> ip-adresses

After it, you have added 2 ip-numbers which should become DNS. The final result should be following:

mydomainname.tld
ns1.mydomainname.tld
ns2.mydomainname.tld

STEP 1
======
So, for the first, go to

mydomainname.tld
General --> domains ---> mydomainname.tld

Domains > mydomainname.tld >
DNS zone for the domain mydomainname.tld is a master DNS server

Add record type (Add a DNS record)

ns1.mydomainname.tld. A 111.111.111.1
ns2.mydomainname.tld. A 111.111.111.2
(Note: There must be a "point" behind the tld!!!)
(Note: 111.111.111.X is only an example. Use your both different ip-numbers please)

Save it. This means, that these domainnames

ns1.mydomainname.tld and
ns2.mydomainname.tld

can be resolved now onto this server-machine. This is one of the most important thing.

STEP2
======
Every other domainname can have now ns1.mydomainname.tld and ns2.mydomainname.tld as DNS. To avoid, that you must always manual type this in each domainname-section, go to your DNS-template.

Server --> Server Administration --> DNS

[Add New Records] and it should be there then

<domain>. NS ns1.mydomainname.tld
<domain>. NS ns2.mydomainname.tld
(Note: There must be a "point" behind the tld!!!)

This means now following: Everytime, if you add a new domainname to your PLESK-server, it will add everytime automatically the

newdomain.tld. NS ns1.mydomainname.tld
newdomain.tld. NS ns2.mydomainname.tld

Everytime, if you register a new domainname, this means, that you can always use just ns1.mydomainname.tld and ns2.mydomainname.tld. The domain-registry is only a database, which should explain a computer, which DNS can resolve a domainname. It knows then, that ns1.mydomainname.tld and ns2.mydomainname.tld must be asked. And ns1.mydomainname.tld and ns2.mydomainname.tld do know very well whats going on with "domainname.tld".

HTH!
editor

Back