• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS - SOA contains \'s

freaky@

Regular Pleskian
Hey there,

got a very annoying problem with Plesk. Plesk enters the e-mail address of the customer in the DNS' SOA record. Whilst this is fine, it's not fine that it prefixes any .'s in the mailaddress before the @ with \'s.

As far as I know backslashes are NOT allowed in SOA records. Our secondary DNS server (powerdns) therefore strips the \'s from the SOA record, causing the records not to be the same.

This causes problems with registering domains for some extensions.

Can anyone elaborate on these problems?

DNS SOA email solution

I've written a script to replace the SOA email addresses for all domains with one [email protected] e-mail. After updating the email records in the psa database it regenerates the zone files.
#!/usr/bin/env bash

mysql -u admin --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` -D psa -e 'UPDATE dns_zone SET email="[email protected]";'
mysql --skip-column-names -u admin -p --password=`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` -D psa -e 'SELECT name FROM domains;' | awk '{print "/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/dnsmng update " $l }' | sh

Regard,
Igor

Thanks, it's always nice to see a little more of the internals :).

They already fixed powerdns (our secondary server, it can use mysql so I wrote a simple script that adds/removes the domains), so I don't have any use for it anymore.

The backslash isn't in the actual DNS packet, it has something to do with the way DNS codes the characters. So plesk/bind is doing the right thing, otherwise there would be no way to tell [email protected] from [email protected].

You're right, but in my and many people's case on this forum it's better that a fixed mail address is in the soa record, not the client's address which might be on a remote server.

It would surely make things easier. But I would have to look up if we could do that, as some TLD's have stupid requirements and I believe some require e-mail addresses from other domains and the customer themselves. We usually don't host the mail, most of our customers run Windows 2003 SBS and the MX points straight to their Exchange servers. Would be nice if plesk got a backup MX functionality (from the GUI, I've seen people modifying the config the do it).

Thanks again

Back