• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DNS zone

J

jeff205

Hello,

I have to edit a dns zone like this :
; Zone file for domain.com
$TTL 14400
@ IN SOA web.domain.com. hostmaster.web.domain.com. (
2004080500 ; serial, todays date+todays
14400 ; refresh, seconds
7200 ; retry, seconds
3600000 ; expire, seconds
86400 ) ; minimum, seconds

domain.com. IN NS ns1.domain.com.
domain.com. IN NS ns2.domain.com.

domain.com. IN A 72.21.59.66

ns1.domain.com. IN A 72.21.59.66
ns2.domain.com. IN A 72.21.59.68

localhost.domain.com. IN A 127.0.0.1

domain.com. IN MX 0 domain.com.

mail IN CNAME domain.com.
www IN CNAME domain.com.
ftp IN A 72.21.59.66

free IN A 72.21.59.68
* IN CNAME free.domain.com.

I can not do this kind of configuration on the Plesk admin panel, and so, i need to edit the dns files.

With cpanel, those files (domain.com.db) are located in /var/named/ but i can not find theim on my server running Plesk.

Where can i find those files ?

Thank you.

It's best when you post to give more detailed information (OS, version of Plesk) so that we can better help. That being said, if you are running a "RedHat" flavor, look in:

/var/named/run-root/var

The only thing which I see in your post which you cannot do in Plesk DNS GUI is the serial number using DATECODE, the other stuff you should be able to do with the Plesk control panel GUI.

Plesk has chosen to use the alternative serial number scheme rather than the DATExx format. If you manually edit your zone file, just remember it will be overwritten the next time the domain's DNS is modified in the GUI and the serial number will have to be manually edited again.

Ah, and your last 2 lines:
free IN A 72.21.59.68
* IN CNAME free.domain.com.
These are not really proper entries per spec

What I would do (and have in the past) to support 4th level domain names is use Plesk GUI to create the A record for the 3rd level:

free.domain.com A ip.add.re.ss

Then using Plesk GUI create the wildcard 4th level as a CNAME record:

*.free.domain.com. CNAME free.domain.com.

Then you will still have to do the apache mod_rewrites to handle the actual 4th level sub name redirection.

I have found that actually creating the 'free.domain.com' as an actual primary domain in Plesk (uses a domain license) ends up being better (for me anyways) since it will give you better DNS control over things and keeps it all separate from the main domain. But the choice is up to you which way you end up doing it.

I just try to avoid having to re-edit files each time Plesk changes things.....

Back