• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question Do I need a managed server with Plesk or can I run it myself?

lanix343

Basic Pleskian
Hey Friends,

I have no Sysops knowledge and I am not really good with Linux and I am wondering if I need a managed server with Plesk or can I run it myself?
The Managed Plesk servers are often very limited and I prefer just running a root dedicated Server with plesk on it.
What about OS and PHP Updates? What do i need to pay attention to? Or would you rather say to stick of managed servers?

Best
Thomas

Plesk makes configuration tasks on a server a lot easier, but it cannot do all. If you run your own server, you need some basic Linux knowledge. You will need to learn how to start and stop services, how to use the package installer of your operating system and how to perform some basic tasks and where to find some basic files. You need to learn how to configure your hard disks (RAID) and what to do if a disk fails. All this is a learning process that many people went through before.

Operating system updates and updates of add-on components, e.g. the database server, are not a part of Plesk. PHP updates are, and so are updates for tools that come with Plesk, e.g. webmail software, phpMyAdmin.

Thanks Peter,

where is the best place to learn this and do you think it can be done in a few weeks?

Thanks Peter,

where is the best place to learn this and do you think it can be done in a few weeks?
If you spent a considerable about of time and dedication you can certainly learn enough of the basics.

Take a look at Plesk University for Plesk specific info
Servers for Hackers has some great general Linux tutorials
Serverfault, Unix SE, and DO are great resources if if get stuck

Back