• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Resolved DOA Records Strato and Plesk for my domain different

eggih

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.59
I have a problem with my SOA records.
My domain is registered with namecheap, the server is a Strato V server and I manage the domains with Plesk Obsidian.
The Plesk serial number does not match the serial number that can be checked with a DNS checker (Dig).

SOA Namecheap and Plesk:
domain-namecheap.com

SSH Plesk
Serial: 2024042910
Dig:
Serial: 1713945007

The same thing happens if I take a domain that is registered directly with Strato in the V-Server.

SOA - Strato and Plesk:
domain-strato.com

SSH Plesk
Serial: 2024042905
Dig:
Serial: 2024022204

The same thing also occurs with the zone settings; every change I make seems to have no relevance.
I therefore suspect that for some reason the DNS settings are not being queried by Plesk.

Could someone give me some advice?
Thank you

I am not sure if I completely follow. What command did you run on your plesk server to get the SOA serial?

I see. Is the Plesk server also used as a name server for these domain? Or do you manage the DNS of these domains somewhere else? With your registrar for example?

yes, exactly.
The name server is at namecheap, I have entered the records there that are in the Plesk DNS settings of the respective domain and assigned the server IP to it. unfortunately Namecheap doesn't have its own SOA record that I can enter.

There you have your answer :)

When you run cat /var/named/run-root/var/domain-namecheap.com | grep Serial you'll get the SOA value that exists for the DNS zone on your Plesk server. However your not using Plesk as a DNS server (so that value is irrelevant). The namecheap DNS server uses it's own SOA value because is a completely different (independent) DNS server. That why you're getting a different value with Dig.

oh my god how simple,:eek:
now that you say that it all makes sense I must have made a mistake in my thinking.
now I have to figure out how to set a soa record on namecheaop. Unfortunately I don't have this item in the selection of records there.

Is the SOA record even important? or the other way around, is it bad if it is faulty?

Is the SOA record even important? or the other way around, is it bad if it is faulty?
Both. A DNS zone can't really function without without a SOA record and using wrong/faulty values in SOA record can badly impact your DNS zone. However if you are using a third party DNS provider (for example with your domain registrar), they likely configure the SOA record for you. Often without (or limited) control over the values used. (Btw, last thing you need to worry about is the serial value when using a third party DNS provider.)

Back