• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Docker non-functional after automatic package update

MSWeb

New Pleskian
Username:

TITLE

Docker non-functional after automatic package update

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian Web Host Edition Version 18.0.50, CentOS Linux 7.9.2009 (Core), x86_64

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

After an automatic upgrade of Docker, it can not be started anymore, due to the outdated storage driver devicemapper, which is used by default.

ERRO[2023-02-03T17:38:11.670044173+01:00] [graphdriver] prior storage driver devicemapper is deprecated and will be removed in a future release; update the the daemon configuration and explicitly choose this storage driver to continue using it; visit Docker storage drivers for more information

Yum history info for the update:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Transaction ID : 1436
Begin time : Fri Feb 3 03:29:49 2023
Begin rpmdb : 1193:add095bcd220ab167f07d12adf46b6e429cc1648
End time : 03:30:07 2023 (18 seconds)
End rpmdb : 1195:9178029256a350332ec0285475ff3908e1d10a60
User : root <root>
Return-Code : Success
Transaction performed with:
Installed rpm-4.11.3-48.el7_9.x86_64 @updates
Installed yum-3.4.3-168.el7.centos.noarch @base
Installed yum-metadata-parser-1.1.4-10.el7.x86_64 @anaconda
Installed yum-plugin-fastestmirror-1.1.31-54.el7_8.noarch @updates
Packages Altered:
Dep-Install docker-buildx-plugin-0.10.2-1.el7.x86_64 @plesk-ext-docker
Updated docker-ce-3:20.10.23-3.el7.x86_64 @plesk-ext-docker
Update 3:23.0.0-1.el7.x86_64 @plesk-ext-docker
Updated docker-ce-cli-1:20.10.23-3.el7.x86_64 @plesk-ext-docker
Update 1:23.0.0-1.el7.x86_64 @plesk-ext-docker
Dep-Install docker-compose-plugin-2.15.1-3.el7.x86_64 @plesk-ext-docker

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Upgrade Docker to:
docker-buildx-plugin.x86_64 0:0.10.2-1.el7
docker-ce.x86_64 3:23.0.0-1.el7
docker-ce-cli.x86_64 1:23.0.0-1.el7

ACTUAL RESULT

Docker will not start any more.

EXPECTED RESULT

Docker continues to function.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Downgrading the installation temporarily "fixes" the issue, but a fix is needed to be able to update again.

==============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
==============================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================
Removing:
docker-buildx-plugin x86_64 0.10.2-1.el7 @plesk-ext-docker 53 M
docker-compose-plugin x86_64 2.15.1-3.el7 @plesk-ext-docker 43 M
Downgrading:
docker-ce x86_64 3:20.10.23-3.el7 plesk-ext-docker 22 M
docker-ce-cli x86_64 1:20.10.23-3.el7 plesk-ext-docker 30 M

Transaction Summary
Remove 2 Packages
Downgrade 2 Packages

Total download size: 52 M
Is this ok [y/d/N]:

Removed:
docker-buildx-plugin.x86_64 0:0.10.2-1.el7 docker-ce.x86_64 3:23.0.0-1.el7 docker-ce-cli.x86_64 1:23.0.0-1.el7 docker-compose-plugin.x86_64 0:2.15.1-3.el7

Installed:
docker-ce.x86_64 3:20.10.23-3.el7 docker-ce-cli.x86_64 1:20.10.23-3.el7

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Hi, any updates?

I downgraded docker to a previous release, disabled docker updates and it worked for a few days.
This night Plesk updated again by itself, and docker does not start anymore. I unlocked docker updates, updated docker, but nothing.

Any suggestions?

Regards.

@IT Ufficio Key-One Please check the thread Issue - Docker can't start anymore
It is not a Plesk issue, but came about as Docker retired old storage drivers. Your best option is to migrate the Docker storage driver.
I fail to understand how this is not a Plesk issue. Plesk is heavily marketed towards the Wordpress-crowd for automation and ease of use. Docker has been set up on my server by the native Plesk-docker-extension. Can it not be expected, that Docker is maintained the same way, my webservers are? You would not brush off a similar issue with nginx like that.

I fail to understand how this is not a Plesk issue. Plesk is heavily marketed towards the Wordpress-crowd for automation and ease of use. Docker has been set up on my server by the native Plesk-docker-extension. Can it not be expected, that Docker is maintained the same way, my webservers are? You would not brush off a similar issue with nginx like that.
Just to clarify: I do not mean to be rude, I just do not understand how these clarifications advance the issue.

Plesk is a frontend for various system services. It makes configuration of these services easier, but it is not responsible how these services work or what their vendors do. It also does not interfere with existing configurations. From your argumentation you are expecting that Plesk provided a migration tool for Docker users from and old to a new storage driver. But would that not be something that the manufacturer should do, Docker? They don't even have such a tool.

However, we still appreciate such input from you, because it makes quite visible what users are expecting. I can only encourage you to criticize the product or to submit a feature request on Feature Suggestions: Top (2037 ideas) – Your Ideas for Plesk . It sure helps to improve the product.

Plesk is a frontend for various system services. It makes configuration of these services easier, but it is not responsible how these services work or what their vendors do. It also does not interfere with existing configurations. From your argumentation you are expecting that Plesk provided a migration tool for Docker users from and old to a new storage driver. But would that not be something that the manufacturer should do, Docker? They don't even have such a tool.

However, we still appreciate such input from you, because it makes quite visible what users are expecting. I can only encourage you to criticize the product or to submit a feature request on Feature Suggestions: Top (2037 ideas) – Your Ideas for Plesk . It sure helps to improve the product.
Hi, thank you so much for the reply. I see your point. Maybe it would help to clarify this on the documentation page for Docker with Plesk. On it Docker is described as being usable as a "Plesk extension". In my view this phrasing collides with your statement. Also there is no mention or warning for cases like the one we are having right now. I was simply using it, like I am also using the Let's Encrypt-extension. Also please keep in mind, that I do not have any manual configuration for Docker, so this is not the reason for it failing.

I do not expect a migration tool, no, not at all. Actually I was hoping for one of your excellent support articles. For nearly every problem I had using or configuring Plesk, I found a support article that neatly described how to solve it. That is all I was hoping to achieve with this issue, since I am not the only one with the problem and Plesk support articles are the perfect solution for this.

Reactions: mow
Back