• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Docker not available on patched Debian 8

Neodork

New Pleskian
TITLE:
Docker not available on patched Debian 8
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE:
Plesk Onyx Update #19, Patched Debian 8 (jessie)
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION:
Dear reader,

I have patched my Debian 7 installation to Debian 8 in hopes that I would be able to use docker containers locally. After installing the docker extension I still get the "warning docker is not supported on this environment" warning.

Is docker not supported on patched versions?

Code:
Distributor ID:    Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 8.7 (jessie)
Release:    8.7
Codename:    jessie
STEPS TO REPRODUCE:
Launch new Debian 7 (wheezy) instance (fresh install).

Upgrade to Debian 8 (jessie).

Install plesk.

Install docker extension.

Go to docker extension.

Docker extension shows warning about not being supported on this environment.​
ACTUAL RESULT:
A warning and not being able to run containers.

Code:
Warning: Local Docker nodes cannot be deployed in this environment. Only remote Docker nodes are available. Refer to this document for more information about the environment suitable for local Docker nodes.
You can use remote Docker nodes only if you have the paid version of the Docker extension. You can buy the extension here.
EXPECTED RESULT:
Docker being able to run on patched (jessie) Debian.​
ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM:
Confirm bug

Could you please add the output of command

# uname -a

Thanks.

BTW, are you sure that your server has default Debian 8 kernel?

@IgorG

It appears my kernel failed to update. The minimum requirement is 3.10 and as seen below I am on 3.2. I tried installing a kernel metapackage, it installs just right but the kernel stays on 3.2 even after a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and reboot. Any advice?

Code:
Linux example.host 3.2.41-042stab117.16 #1 SMP Fri Sep 9 21:57:19 MSK 2016 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks for the install script, but I assume it fails, because I failed to upgrade the kernel.

Last edited:
Do you have installed Plesk on physical server or VPS?

A VPS.

Edit: Google now enlightened me this is a problem with my hosting company. Because the VPS will probably not be allowed to change kernel on their end.

Back