• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain Alias Addition & DNS Warnings

K

knocx

after a domain alias added to a domain DNS server shows up warnings on the Event log!

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7062
Date: 23.04.2005
Time: 23:49:59
User: N/A
Computer: MAIN
Description:
The DNS server encountered a packet addressed to itself on IP address 67.15.120.33. The packet is for the DNS name "mycustomer.org.". The packet will be discarded. This condition usually indicates a configuration error.

Check the following areas for possible self-send configuration errors:
1) Forwarders list. (DNS servers should not forward to themselves).
2) Master lists of secondary zones.
3) Notify lists of primary zones.
4) Delegations of subzones. Must not contain NS record for this DNS server unless subzone is also on this server.
5) Root hints.

Example of self-delegation:
-> This DNS server dns1.example.microsoft.com is the primary for the zone example.microsoft.com.
-> The example.microsoft.com zone contains a delegation of bar.example.microsoft.com to dns1.example.microsoft.com,
(bar.example.microsoft.com NS dns1.example.microsoft.com)
-> BUT the bar.example.microsoft.com zone is NOT on this server.

Note, you should make this delegation check (with nslookup or DNS manager) both on this DNS server and on the server(s) you delegated the subzone to. It is possible that the delegation was done correctly, but that the primary DNS for the subzone, has any incorrect NS record pointing back at this server. If this incorrect NS record is cached at this server, then the self-send could result. If found, the subzone DNS server admin should remove the offending NS record.

You can use the DNS server debug logging facility to track down the cause of this problem.

knocx

Same here, I started getting the error when I upgraded to 7.5, I'm now in 7.5.2 and still getting the warning.

¿?

One of the reasons to love windows DNS. This can be caused by several things.

The most common cause is outlined below.

In the plesk case this first one is usually the culprit if you have domains using your nameservers without being setup in Plesk.

Q235689
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q235689

This problem started occuring as soon as win2000 came to market. If this doesnt fix your issues I have several other solutions. However they arent as simple and require some experience with DNS management on your part.

Good Luck.

As a consolation prize, you can actually ignore this event.

Im not referring to an external DNS server. Im referring to any domains registered at a registrar such as register.com or netsol that are not setup currently in plesk using your plesk machines DNS as a nameserver.

Hopefully that clarifies it a bit.

-r

Hello renhack

i still cant get the Plesk , Microsoft DNS, and the Registrar ternary relation? what is the role of registrar here? Do you mean root servers by registrar?..please explain

Also; Do you mean that plesk zone files are doing lame delegation?afaik plesk adds NS type resource record for each created domain by default. since this is a self delagation it may pop up such a log...

you may explain the problem in extreemly technical detail

-- knocx

Back