• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain alias

M

MaRiOs

How do I add a domain alias in plesk?

I mean, I have the domain1.tld with hosting on plesk and I bought domain2.tld,
and I just want to install the domain2.tld in a way that will open the files of domain1.tld.

is it from Add New Domain->Standard forwarding ? (this will change the domain name from domain2.tld to domain1.tld on my browser right?)

Or I have to install some Cname records on my dns by hand? and just give to the domain2.tld the nameservers ns1.domain1.tld ns2.domain2.tld ??????

Yes, standard forwarding will change the browser's URL.

Frame forwarding will keep the original aliased URL but show the main domain site.

So lets say my dns are like this :

domain1.tld.. NS ns1.grserver.gr.
domain1.tld.. NS ns2.grserver.gr.
mail.domain1.tld.. A 64.34.170.238
domain1.tld.. A 64.34.170.238
webmail.domain1.tld.. A 64.34.170.238
ns1.domain1.tld.. A 64.34.170.238
ns2.domain1.tld.. A 64.34.170.238
test.domain1.tld.. A 64.34.170.238
ftp.domain1.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
www.domain1.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
lists.domain1.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
mail.domain1.tld.. MX (10) mail.domain1.tld..
64.34.170.238 / 24 PTR domain1.tld..

If I add these lines :

ftp.aliasdomain.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
www.aliasdomain.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
lists.aliasdomain.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
ns1.aliasdomain.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
ns2.aliasdomain.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
mail.aliasdomain.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..
aliasdomain.tld.. MX (10) mail.domain1.tld..
aliasdomain.tld.. CNAME domain1.tld..

will that work ?

No. Just use either the 'standard' or 'frame' forwarding. Plesk will then generate a separate DNS zone file for the 2nd domain.

Or is there a specific reason you are trying to avoid the forwarding feature?

I guess you could add it manually to the vhosts file? The method does have its problems (like having to re-add it every time Plesk is updated etc), but it should be possible. My host, aplus.net, tells me the forward and frame methods doesn't coulnt either, but that may be different for you, not sure.

So. is there no way to do the aliasing at bind level ?
(using plesk)

This would be the transparant one I assume ?

Brdgs,

Maarten

Originally posted by AlleyKat
I guess you could add it manually to the vhosts file? The method does have its problems (like having to re-add it every time Plesk is updated etc), but it should be possible. My host, aplus.net, tells me the forward and frame methods doesn't coulnt either, but that may be different for you, not sure.
Using Plesk, you have to create the additional domain (counts as a domain license), then set it up with standard or frame forwarding, so it would use a domain license.
Originally posted by maartenh
So. is there no way to do the aliasing at bind level ?
(using plesk)

This would be the transparant one I assume ?

Brdgs,

Maarten
Aliasing is not really done at the BIND level. Not using the Plesk interface. If you notice, it automatically has the domain's name part filled in when you add either an A record or CNAME record. All you could do would be to manually create a zone file, and then keep the named.conf file updated (manually) each time it gets overwritten by Plesk. Or possibly put your own entries into named.custom and put an "Include named.custom" line into the named.conf file.

The Plesk interface makes things easy for hosting, but when you try to circumvent it's licensing limitations, then you're basically on your own to keep things straight. To avoid these problems, you should just pay the extra money and purchase the unlimited domain version of Plesk, then you don't have to worry about it.

I am not necessarily referring to all of you (regarding the license limits), just in general.

Shadowman:

Thanks for reply, licensecount is not what I'm worried about....got the unlimited version running :cool:

Easy maintenance is more what I'm looking after!

So the include is the best option I think ?
(do I have to set that include every time or does it stay in the file ?)

last question, aliasing in q-mail is also not possible in the plesk interface, you've got also a workaround for that ??

Happy to hear,

Maarten

As I said, I was not referring to you at all, just a general statement.

Easy maintenance - I agree I don't like having to replicate my efforts over and over, so I have to find ways to keep Plesk from undoing things which I have manually changed.

Well, so far the Include statement of mine has stayed in, the one for PSA Power Toys also has remained, so I think it's a safe bet.

Aliasing in Qmail (the part of domain parking which Plesk does not do) is done manually by editing the /var/qmail/control/virtualdomains file. Add the aliased (parked) domain name(s) and make the prefix number the same as the main domain which it is to be 'parked' on. (Covered in numerous threads all the way back to Plesk 6)

Any reason not to do this (forwarding) via your registrar? I have numerous domains and use GoDaddy's ability to Forward. Doesn't cost me anything and has no affect on Plesk one way or the other.

Or is this a reason this isn't a good idea and I'm just not seeing it?

Oops, my error ... I meant to say ...

Or is there a reason this isn't a good idea and I'm just not seeing it? (Brain working faster than the fingers)

Yes, forwarding is supported by Plesk but it costs you one of your Domains (if I am correct). So if you're running the 30 domain version (which I am) you don't want to waste domains for a simple forward.

So I go to GoDaddy, view my domains, click on the domain I want to forward, and enter the address to where I want the forward to go. GoDaddy doesn't charge anything extra for that, and it doesn't count toward my domain total in Plesk.

If you have unlimited plesk, or a limited number of domains to worry about, then doing it in plesk make sense.

I only suggest this as I thought I read earlier that the concern was plesk forwarding counting against total domains.

Back