• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain Aliases (or how to extend a license)

B

brooks

Domain aliases are a nice addition to Plesk but here are a couple of things to consider.
  1. There's no way to limit them (like you can with domains and sub-domains).
  2. By using some simple mod_rewrite rules you can easily host unlimited domains under a single account each with it's own content directory and name space.
    You could even to combine it with the "web user" feature to provide for individual quotas, etc. for each domain.
    [/list=1]
    I think it's a great new feature, but there should really be a way to limit them on a per (licensed) domain basis.

Big deal, like you couldn't already do the same thing manually?

I agree with you. You can actually run an entire hosting business based on command line configuration, but that's not the point. The point is that it's now it's available in the GUI, and fairly easy for customers exploit.

Go into your client permissions and turn off Domain Alias Management. (it's actually off by default)

They can only see their aliases then, they can't edit/add/delete them.

Working great on this end. I got 3 IM's this morning asking how to add more aliases :p

But I suppose if you want them to be able to manage their own, then yes, we need a limit capability. I do agree that it should be there.

I believe limits are coming, I requested this during the private beta phase of Plesk 8 so I would expect it to be in the next release.

Originally posted by brooks
I agree with you. You can actually run an entire hosting business based on command line configuration, but that's not the point. The point is that it's now it's available in the GUI, and fairly easy for customers exploit.

As a solution you can set the parameter "apache_allowoverride_default" in the misc table to <something differ from "All">, as result - value of this parameter will be used for apache directive in httpd.conf:
<Directory "/home/httpd/vhosts">
AllowOverride <something differ from "All">
</Directory>

I need to do this with PLESK 7.5, I found some tutorials but I still don't understand how mod_rewrite rules.

I want to redirect domain1 to domain2, but I want to see domain in the URL, I don't want frame redirection becuase I need to access directly to the files: domain1/users.php for example.

How can I do this?

Back