• Please be aware: Kaspersky Anti-Virus has been deprecated
    With the upgrade to Plesk Obsidian 18.0.64, "Kaspersky Anti-Virus for Servers" will be automatically removed from the servers it is installed on. We recommend that you migrate to Sophos Anti-Virus for Servers.
  • The Horde webmail has been deprecated. Its complete removal is scheduled for April 2025. For details and recommended actions, see the Feature and Deprecation Plan.

Question Domain forwarding, no Lets Encrypt?

maniacos

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 12
Plesk version and microupdate number
Safari is complaining about a domain forwarding claiming that there is no correct certificate installed but I have no certificate at all and I also don't think that I need one. The forwarding is directly to a facebook page. Firefox and Chrome do it without issues but Safari complains and scares people about security risks.

So I tried to set up a lets encrypt for that domain but I can't find where to install it for that domain. I have lets encrypt for other sites on the same server however the option is missing on the forwarded domain.

Clicking add certificate gives a form for manual cert install but I don't want that.

Go to the Dashboard of the domain, click on SSL/TLS Certficates-> Install Lets Encrypt

1721224383184.png

1721224414763.png

Hope this helps.

Safari is complaining about a domain forwarding claiming that there is no correct certificate installed but I have no certificate at all and I also don't think that I need one. The forwarding is directly to a facebook page. Firefox and Chrome do it without issues but Safari complains and scares people about security risks.

So I tried to set up a lets encrypt for that domain but I can't find where to install it for that domain. I have lets encrypt for other sites on the same server however the option is missing on the forwarded domain.

Clicking add certificate gives a form for manual cert install but I don't want that.
This screenshot above is not from Dashboard of the domain, its from the Advanced Settings on the SSL/TLS Certificates.

This screenshot above is not from Dashboard of the domain, its from the Advanced Settings on the SSL/TLS Certificates.
That is what appears when I click here (see picture).
I suspect that the SSL!it extension (and maybe the Let's Encrypt extension too) isn't installed. You can install and enable those via the extensions option in the left side menu.
As I wrote in my first post, I am using Lets Encrypt on several other Domains.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-17_16-18-45.png
    Screenshot_2024-07-17_16-18-45.png
    94 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_2024-07-17_16-24-52.png
    Screenshot_2024-07-17_16-24-52.png
    274 KB · Views: 10
Interesting, it shows up without the "Domain not secured" tagline even when you do not have SSL.

As I wrote in my first post, I am using Lets Encrypt on several other Domains.
Yes, but is the SSL!it extension installed?

The SSL/TLS icon in your screen shot indicates it is not (the icon is different when SSL!it extension installed).

Yes, but is the SSL!it extension installed?

The SSL/TLS icon in your screen shot indicates it is not (the icon is different when SSL!it extension installed).
Please look at the second screenshot. Right side.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-17_16-24-52.png
    Screenshot_2024-07-17_16-24-52.png
    364.8 KB · Views: 6
Please look at the second screenshot. Right side.
My bad, I missed the screenshot in your previous post.

I am scratching my head on this one to be honest. When the SSL!it extension is installed and active the SS/TLS icon should look like this:
Screenshot 2024-07-17 172219.png
When it's not installed it looks like the one you're seeing:
Screenshot_2024-07-17_16-18-45.png
But it looks like you do have the SSL!it extension installed already. Which why I am puzzled by the different icon and the fact that you cannot issue a certificate for a forwarding domain.

What do the icon look like on other domains? And what happens when you re-install the SSL!it extension?

There are some issues with some websites where Plesk claims the certificate is not installed but the browser shows a certificate, another one says the certificate is expired but in the browser the certificate is valid until September 2024, others work. Something is fishy here. Here's one website with a working certificate where the button shows everything normal too.

Every domain has an automatic renew, and that seems to run because as said the browser shows valid certificates (except for Safari on the forwarding domain). But some of them are really not much frequented, are mainly one-pages with some artist infos or so.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-17_19-51-29.png
    Screenshot_2024-07-17_19-51-29.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 4
Ignore the issue with the certificate not showing valid in Plesk, my fault it are old installations not used anymore. Anyhow the screenshot shows the working plugin button of an active, working domain and I checked the forwarding domain issue is on the same server.

I fixed. Since this was just a redirect, I removed the domain and installed it again. This time I did a blank website, installed a certificate for it and then transformed into a forwarding.

Before that I first transformed it to a forwarding and then tried to install the certificate after Safari complained. I don't know if the SSL plugin doesn't work when I transform an unsecured blank webpage into a forwarding and then want to install the certificate afterwards?

I am glad is working for you now, I was wondering if you used an existing subscription when you added the domain on your first attempt.

The SSL extension will work when you start with an Unsecured Blank Website (Valid or Temporary Domain), new subscription or existing, change Hosting to Forwarding, you can install new SSL for the forwarding domain.

Well I think that's what I was been doing. I installed it as a blank website and then switched hosting to forward then I got information that Safari complains and I wanted to add cert which I couldn't.

Back