• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain Name Registration Integration

laughingbuddha

Regular Pleskian
Hi,

I'm UK based isp and looking for some kind of domain name registration integration into Plesk or into my soon to be launched website for the hosting side of my buisness.

I have heard of modern bill, put it looks a little scary to install, and I'm not so keen on intergrating that into my server. Currently I just use my 123-Reg control panel to register domains as I'm switching from my current WebFusion VPS to my new Plesk server.

Any ideas?

Matt

These are just a small fraction of the domain regiatration/web host selling and provisioning software out there
Modernbill (you know already)
AWBS (Formerly DRAMS) http://www.awbs.com/
WhoisCart http://whoiscart.net/

All of them are really easy to install and maintain (within reason of course) and all have a good help system, although I personally think modernbill and Awbs are the best of them (I know the guys who make those)

WhoisCart looks nasty and cheap.

Modern Bill seems to be better then AWBS, not sure if I will go with Modern Bill or wait until I have a Nominet account and TAG. But that costs £400 plus VAT and a yearly fee of £100.

Matt

Ah. Ok. I thought you where supose to, or it was seen as professional?

I mean that's the reason I'm looking to move away from 123-Reg, well that and the automation aspect.

I need to be able to seemlessly blend the who domain registration into my own site, so it fits into the style of the site and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb as they say.

Matt

Lots of people do it, and are happy with it - if you want to dont let me stop you. In my personal experience I didnt care much for it, was a huge overhead having to manage it myself as opposed to having a registrar do it for me so I could focus on other aspects of the business. But like I said, if you want to pursue it by all means give it a go :)

basically having your own tag is like being your own registrar - there are a lot of things you ahve to do. You should work all that out with them before you make up your mind.

Thanks for your help.

Things with the server have now suddenly come to a sticky end.

The server is an ia64 based server, and Plesk don't support ia64. They only do on vizzo which I#m not willing to pay $999 dollers just to install Plesk.

Bugger!

Bloody Intel!

If you can use h-sphere (it is from an swsoft company www.psoft.net). It includes all billing and management integrated and probably might come cheaper than plesk. Costs $4.50/account independent of number of servers you are using and it allows clustering as the CP can manage 100 servers at the same time, so you can add more machines as you grow easily. Plus VPS, antivirus, antispam, SiteStudio and much more comes for free.

www.resellone.net has OpenSRS compatible API and $6.45/year domain registration prices. I have over 1200 domains with them. Although they dont support co.uk domains :( You can instead use eNom which also has good prices and excellent support.

Thanks,
Evren

any registrar selling for $6.45 is one to stay away from in my opinion, since verisign raised prices last week by $0.50 on each verisign managed TLD (com/net/org/etc.) they are loosing money selling them to you at that price, which means they have to recoup the money from you in other ways....

any registrar selling for $6.45 is one to stay away from in my opinion, since verisign raised prices last week by $0.50 on each verisign managed TLD (com/net/org/etc.) they are loosing money selling them to you at that price, which means they have to recoup the money from you in other ways....

Well, they were planning to increase the prices to $6.72.
https://resellers.resellone.net/resellers/index?action=reseller_login_msg

Anyway, they are very reliable and nothing bad happened so far. I can say quite safe, not always cheap mean bad quality :)

Your right, it is not necessarily true that cheap is bad quality, but more often then not it does mean just that. Either way, even at 6.72 they are most likely loosing money on selling the domain name, since I think the min price that the registry charges is 6.75 ( I could be wrong on that, its been a while since I talked to those folks). Either way, if they are loosing money that is not a good strategy for business, cheap or not. If they are loosing money on those sales, then they have to make up the money lost in other areas, which usually means selling you services that should be free, or cheaper then are at other places, contracts, not being able to unlock the domain, that sort of thing. Ive never dealt with the people you mention so I have no clue about them, but I have heard of this thing happening hundreds of times through out the years - buyer beware is all :)

There is no tricks. I assure you. They dont even put advertisements to your expired domains like other registrars do.

They could increase the prices to $6.95 if they wanted as all the other places have increased prices also. Maybe it is enough to make marginal profits from .com domains for them.

They have the same interface as OpenSRS(as a matter of fact it is outsourced from there). They are part of ThePlanet/EV1.

Not only that, you get RapidSSL certificates for $10/year and about $24 for 3 years. :)

Anyway, the point is, ResellOne is just a normal registrar. There is no tricks as far as I can see.

They do appear to be what they say they are!

They are a little cheaper than enom on pay as you go, but you do have a $99 activation cost, or $1000 account preload. Preloading with enom will also get domains cheaper.

Read their forums if you want some specifics. Its full of people slagging the company off, but thats what happens on forums and its only to be expected.

eNom is $7.45 cheapest, ResellOne still sells for $6.49.
eNom requires:
$1595 one time fee (compared to $100 at ResellOne)
or
$6995 preload (compared to $1000 at ResellOne)
http://www.enom.com/pricing.asp

I now have over 3000 domain years at ResellOne with about 1800 domains. ResellOne is an exact replica of Tucows/OpenSRS and even more Tucows/OpenSRS is keeping up the ResellOne services (and even more the ResellOne services are hosted at the same place with Tucows/OpenSRS services), so I guess a similar level of quality is expected although the customer service of ResellOne is a little bit slow, but I dont even remember when I had to contact them last time as it wasnt necessary so much so far.

There are definately a lot cheaper places then enom that is for sure. However I personally think their technology platform, their service offering, support, and especially the API is an exteremely powerfull offering.

But then again I have the ability to use their platform, not everyone can - those who can afford it should imo.

Back