• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Domain parking with Plesk

A

ais33333

Hi,

I have two domains: mydomain.com and mydomain.net, how can I point mydomain.net to mydomain.com?

I would like to place two or more domain names on top of an existing site. (domains point to the same web content)

I don t want :
Domain Forwarding
Domain Redirecting
Domain Cloaking

Thanks for your support,

Regards,

Peter

The only way you can do it for now is by manually entering your domains in bind and adding the domains to IIS. You cant do it through plesk.

This is really my only gripe about plesk. Parking is pretty standard in hosting these days. We still consider switching cp's for this reason.

#2 on my gripe list is.... if the button is disabled, make it go away!!! it just confuses our customers.

-r

Hello

You can have 2 domains that point at exactly the same directory by making some changes in IIS.

PLEASE DO NOT attempt this unless you are confident that you can fix it if it goes wrong. You should understand NT user administration and know your way around the IIS snap-in.

This would be simple but... The Alias needs to use the same IUR_ account as the Master, so that it has permission to access the Master's disk space. Unfortunately you can't find out the password for the Master account because Plesk generates it and doesn't tell you. I think Plesk should use the same password as the domain account or FTP, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

- Create both domains in Plesk

*** WARNING: the Master website will stop working during the next 4 or 5 steps. ***

- In the 'Computer Management' change the password for the IUSR_master domain.
- The rest of the steps are all in the IIS snap-in
- Open the Master domain's website
- On the Directory Security tab, click Edit and set the new password
- Go back up to Application Pools, open the Master domain properties and change the password on the Identity Tab.

*** WARNING: the Alias website will stop working during the next steps. ***

- Open the Alias domain's website properties
- On the Home Directory tab change the Local Path to be the same as the master domain's
- On the directory Securtity tab change the IUSR_ account name and password to be the same as the Master's
- Go back up to Application Pools, open the Alias domain properties, Identity Tab. and change the IUSR_ account name and password to be the same as the Master's

Voila.

Cheers,
Julian

whoa... your making this far more confusing than it needs to be. Whats the point of wasting a domain license.

IIS: Right click on the domain and get properties in IIS. Hit the advanced button in the website identification. Hit add, select your shared hosting IP. TCP port 80 and add the domain in the host header. (id domain.com and any other cname/alias's such as www.domain.com)

BIND: Go to C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\dns\var and copy one of the domain templates in there. Edit it with notepad according to your domain and save it as the domain name. Make sure not to put a txt extension on it.

Go to C:\Program Files\SWsoft\Plesk\dns\etc and edit named.conf duplicate an entry starting with zone and ending with }; Edit the entry to reflect the location of your domain file in var. Save and restart plesk.

The instructions of 'inCharge' are useful if you want to link a subdomain like sub.domain.com to an existing domain.com/sub folder without creating a new webspace in plesk.

In fact you can make it even easier without changing the password of the master domain account:

All actions done in IIS snap-in:
1. Right click on your master domain and select -> All Tasks -> Save configuration to file. Enter a filename and save the configuration.
2. Right click on 'Websites' in the IIS snap-in tree and choose New -> Website (from file). Choose the configuration you saved before.
3. Change the Name of the copied website.
- In the Website tab remove the assigned master domain(s) and add the subdomain(s).
- In the Home Directory tab change the Home directory to your sub folder and change the application name.

Greets
Andi

Back