• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

domain/site does not start on shared IP

L

littlesister

I am moving from a DirectAdmin environment to a Plesk enviroment and have the problem that my site is not starting up.

When I setup 'dedicated IP' and select the URL, it works fine. When I select 'shared IP', my site is not started (the default Plesk template page shows).

Under DirectAdmin, the request that was arriving at the IP address was automatically forwarded to the right site/folder. Now, with Plesk it doesn't seem to work that way.

What do I need to change or setup to get multiple domains working on 1 IP?

Make sure that needed site is default for this IP address in IP address settings.

Yes, that words, but I have multiple domains for the same IP. I cannot all make them default, but want them to work all.

It is impossible to use one shared IP for access to several domains. How you imagine it? How your browser will understand which site should be shown when you address by IP?

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. Many sites can be hosted on one IP. I just want that based on the URL, the right site is started. Now, I just get the default Plesk homepage. If I make the site dedicated to the IP, it will start up. If I share it, it doesn't.

URL1 - Site 1 - IPaddress1
URL2 - Site 2 - IPaddress1
URL3 - Site 3 - IPaddress1

etc. DirectAdmin does this automatically. Based on the URL coming in, it redirects to the right site/folder.

There is only one simple rule:

If you have exclusive IP - site will work on this IP;
If you have shared IP - you can use many sites on this IP but only default site will be shown when you go to this IP.

Yes, I understand :) But I'm not typing the IP address in my browser, but the URL. The URL is not redirected to the right site/folder.

you want me to type this in in SSH?

It gives me ssl_module is already loaded, skipping step.

Hi Igor, thanks for all the help. No, it didn't help me.

I got the following message:

ssl_module is already loaded, skipping step.

I have the very same problem

I got shared IP set up, but if I try to reach domain2.com domain1.com or domain3.com it all goes to default site that is set for the ip. Any help out there? I have absolutely no idea how to solve this. I have tried to run websrvmng and httpdmng, restart apache ..everything ..But NOTHING helps. I'm completely puzzled by this. I did fresh installation of plesk (I have dedicated server and installation is automatic through the service provider's control panel). And this problem started afterwards.

For all of those who are having this trouble and are beating your head against your computer screen because it isn't making any sense, let me share a solution I found to my issue on a Windows 2003 / Plesk 9.5.1 machine.

Plesk doesn't seem to always do all the things it should when creating the DNS records. I had a domain that could be accessed without the 'www' (example.com) but could not be access when using the 'www' (www.example.com). I finally found out that I had to add an item directly into IIS:
Pull up IIS
Find the site in the "Web Sites" section and right-click on it and choose "properties"
On the "Web Site" tab, in the "Web site identification" section, click the "Advanced" button
There is supposed to be a record here with the IP # (i.e., 123.123.123.123), TCP port (80) and the Host header value (www.example.com). If there is not, add it. (If you want your site accessible without using the 'www', add a record with all the same values except without the 'www.'.
I really hope this helps someone else because I have just spent a couple of extremely frustrating, curse-filled days chasing my tail down wrong paths of DNS entries.

One thing to do:

- make sure all of the domains you want are setup to use the shared IP. GO to each domain and go to "Web Hosting Settings" and make sure each site is set to use the shared IP there.
- make sure that each domain resolves to the public IP of the shared IP in DNS

You can do this from the command line as well if you would prefer

DOMAINS='domain1.com domain2.com domain3.com'
for DOMAIN in $DOMAINS; do
/usr/local/psa/bin/domain -u $DOMAIN -ip 10.10.10.10 -www true;
/usr/local/psa/bin/domain_pref -u $DOMAIN -expiration -1 -www true
/usr/local/psa/bin/dns --on $DOMAIN
/usr/local/psa/bin/dns --reset $DOMAIN -www true -ip 10.10.10.10
done

Then when you do that go run the web server manager command again
/usr/local/psa/admin/bin/websrvmng -v -a

Getting output warning about modules alreayd being loaded is fine, thats not really an error or anything. What that does is it rebuilds the plesk config files for the domains (among a few other items) and then restarts apache. What ever message you get from restarting apache normally would show here.

For example on one of my servers I get
[Wed Oct 24 09:21:49 2012] [warn] module jk_module is already loaded, skipping
[Wed Oct 24 09:21:49 2012] [warn] module ssl_module is already loaded, skipping

And thats the only output of the command, but that also means that it worked (or at least didn't error)

Found Solution

Goto: IP addresses management

Find the shared IP >> check the box for the Shared IP >> Click Reread IP

Then click on shared IP and click submit for whatever is select by default.

It seems the vhost record isn't being added to the httpconf file when signing a new domain using a shared IP.

Last edited:
Back