• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

DomainKeys setup

M

MitchHarper

Dear Forum,

Email coming from my server is being put into the spam bucket of some of the email powerhouses such as Yahoo Mail. I have noticed that they allow mail into the inbox if it contains DomainKeys. Therefore, I need to install this feature on my server.

I am running a dedicated server with Plesk Control Panel version psa v8.4.0_build84080514.18 os_CentOS 5. The operating system is Linux 2.6.18-8.el5.

As the admin, I set up the DomainKeys Spam Protection to include both options "Allow signing outgoing mail" and "Verify incoming mail". However, the email header in a message sent from the server has the message "DomainKey-Status: no signature".

When I have tried to set other DNS settings in Plesk, they did not take affect, and I had to get the hosting company to set them. They said "The plesk's DNS service is not available to use. We manage our own DNS servers. Please let us know the extra configuration you need to add in order to proceed with the change at our DNS servers."

I have requested that they either install DomainKeys, or instruct me how to do it. Their response to this request is "The problem is that your plesk control panel license do not include Spam Assassin support and that is why the feature is not working correctly. The Spam Assassin feature requires a extra license and have additional cost."

From what I have read, DomainKeys is an open source solution, and is free to everyone.

My questions to the forum are:

1) Is setting the DomainKeys feature part of the DNS, and therefore under the control of my hosting company?

2) I the answer to the question above is no, then what else do I need to do to install DomainKeys, such as installing the public and private keys.

3) Is DomainKeys actually part of Spam Assassin, and I'm going to have to pony up even more money each month to have this feature available?

Thanks in advance for any responses to my questions.

Mitch Harper

1) DNS and qmail I think. (Definately DNS not sure about qmail).
2) /
3) Spam Assassin license isn't needed.

There seems to be known issues with Plesk 8.4.0 domainkeys implementations, install and test carefully.

In my personal case, on the servers where we activated domainkeys, for a small ammount of clients, mail suddenly became odd behaved, I mean, the mails never arrived their intended recipient, after I disabled completely domainkeys, mail started working again for this few clients.

Again this was a very random issue, and not every domain was affected, but the issue is that is a known issue, if you search on the forums you may be able to find some posts relating problems with domainkeys.

Back