• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved dovecot failed to start after upgrading to 17.5.3 #4

swd_danielk

New Pleskian
I recently upgraded Plesk to version 17.5.3 (Update 4). After upgrading Dovecot failed to start with the following message:

* dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dovecot.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2017-04-27 08:23:03 CEST; 34s ago
Docs: man:dovecot(1)
FrontPage - Dovecot Wiki
Process: 15880 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/dovecot (code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE)

Apr 27 08:23:03 hosting systemd[1]: dovecot.service: control process exited, code=exited status=226
Apr 27 08:23:03 hosting systemd[1]: Failed to kill control group: Invalid argument
Apr 27 08:23:03 hosting systemd[1]: Failed to kill control group: Invalid argument
Apr 27 08:23:03 hosting systemd[1]: Failed to start Dovecot IMAP/POP3 email server.
Apr 27 08:23:03 hosting systemd[1]: Unit dovecot.service entered failed state.

I'd appreciate any help with this issue!

I changed the "PrivateTmp=true" setting in the systemd configuration, reloaded system-ctl and the service started again. I fear that this is only a temporary solution because using a private temp appears to be the recommended setting. Any ideas?

Hi swd_danielk,

unfortunately, you don't provide informations about your current operating system on your server, which leaves quite a lot of possible root causes open.
Additional informations ( corresponding log - files entries / MORE informations about your server environement / ... installed packages / possible configuration files from the depending services / ... ) will help to investigate your issue.

Suggestions:

Try to switch of SELinux and investigate if the issue still appears.
( On Ubuntu/Debian based systems ) Try to disable apparmor, as suggested at => How to disable AppArmor? ( no need to REMOVE apparmor, though... just follow the KB - suggestions up to "update-rc.d -f apparmor remove" ) , to be able to investigate if the issue still appears.

Hello UFHH01,

I'm running a debian linux (jessie) with plesk 17.5.3 which uses dovecot for providing the mail service for subscribers. Additional "mail-related" services are "Plesk Milter (Postfix)", "SMTP-Server (Postfix)" and SpamAssassin.

There is a main dovecot configuration file and there are 7 addition config files who overwrites the default settings - all generated by plesk. Do you need all of them?

Back