• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Dovecot + Plesk 11 // encrypted passwords

dresnnn

New Pleskian
Hallo,

ich weiß, es gibt keinen offiziellen Support für Dovecot, allerdings möchte ich gern parallel zu Courier Dovecot einsetzen, weil in Verbindung mit meiner favorisierten Groupware-Lösung, Mailfilter (Sieve) und IMAP ACLs komme ich nicht so richtig um Dovecot herum, abgesehen von der Performance bei krassen Ordnerstrukturen mit vielen e-Mails ;)

Es gibt ja 2-3 Anleitungen im Netz, welche allerdings alle auf ältere Plesk-Versionen abzielen und die Authentifizierung läuft da über SQL-Abfragen, damals noch in Verbindung mit unverschlüsselten Passwörtern in der Datenbank. Mittlerweile (zum Glück, danke Parallels!!!) sind die Passwörter verschlüsselt gespeichert, doch ich bekomme die IMAP-Authentifizierung in Verbindung mit den verschlüsselten Passwörtern nicht hin.

Hat das jemand von euch schon erfolgreich umsetzen können? Ich wäre über Tipps sehr dankbar. Gibt es eventuell alternativ einen Weg mittels PAM und pam_plesk.so?

Grüße,
André

---
Hello,

I know there's no official support for Dovecot, but I would like to use Dovecot, because in conjunction with my favorite groupware solution, mail filter (Sieve) and IMAP ACLs, I'm not really around Dovecot, apart from the performance in folder structures with many e-mails ;)

There are even instructions 2-3 on the net, which, however, all aimed at older Plesk versions, and the authentication is running because of SQL queries, then in connection with unencrypted passwords in the database. Now (fortunately, thanks Parallels!), The passwords are stored encrypted, but I'm not getting out the IMAP authentication in conjunction with the encrypted passwords.

Has any of you been able to implement successfully? I would be very grateful for tips. Are there any alternative means of PAM and pam_plesk.so a way?

regards,
André

Last edited:
Has any of you been able to implement successfully? I would be very grateful for tips. Are there any alternative means of PAM and pam_plesk.so a way?

No, I didn't and I'm not exactly experienced with Dovecot. No, Plesk 11 doesn't provide mail authentication via PAM.

You could try to use external SASL authentication mechanisms with Dovecot via plesk_saslauthd daemon (for plain-text authentication) and possibly plesk_auxprop plugin (for shared-secret authentication).

I +1 this thread.
Can be very useful have an how-to configure Dovecot with Plesk 11.
I saw some post that talks about the theme ... but all without a conclusion.

So the question is : How-to authenticate against Courier via pam_imap ?

Markus_Eyrich, I've sent you a PM. I'll share some insight only with those who post into the thread about Dovecot support, and I deem their post useful (and responsible). I will not share any information publicly due to reasons outlined here.

Seems not very popular. Is there a way to disable encrypted passwords in Plesk again ? I mean, if i want to force it. I really want to use dovecot on a new server, but i can't figure it out with encrypted passwords...

Back