1. Please take a little time for this simple survey! Thank you for participating!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dear Pleskians, please read this carefully! New attachments and other rules Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dear Pleskians, I really hope that you will share your opinion in this Special topic for chatter about Plesk in the Clouds. Thank you!
    Dismiss Notice

Dovecot + Plesk 11 // encrypted passwords

Discussion in 'Plesk 11.x for Linux' started by dresnnn, Aug 1, 2012.

1. dresnnn

dresnnn New Pleskian

Hallo,

ich weiß, es gibt keinen offiziellen Support für Dovecot, allerdings möchte ich gern parallel zu Courier Dovecot einsetzen, weil in Verbindung mit meiner favorisierten Groupware-Lösung, Mailfilter (Sieve) und IMAP ACLs komme ich nicht so richtig um Dovecot herum, abgesehen von der Performance bei krassen Ordnerstrukturen mit vielen e-Mails ;)

Es gibt ja 2-3 Anleitungen im Netz, welche allerdings alle auf ältere Plesk-Versionen abzielen und die Authentifizierung läuft da über SQL-Abfragen, damals noch in Verbindung mit unverschlüsselten Passwörtern in der Datenbank. Mittlerweile (zum Glück, danke Parallels!!!) sind die Passwörter verschlüsselt gespeichert, doch ich bekomme die IMAP-Authentifizierung in Verbindung mit den verschlüsselten Passwörtern nicht hin.

Hat das jemand von euch schon erfolgreich umsetzen können? Ich wäre über Tipps sehr dankbar. Gibt es eventuell alternativ einen Weg mittels PAM und pam_plesk.so?

Grüße,
    André

---
    Hello,

I know there's no official support for Dovecot, but I would like to use Dovecot, because in conjunction with my favorite groupware solution, mail filter (Sieve) and IMAP ACLs, I'm not really around Dovecot, apart from the performance in folder structures with many e-mails ;)

There are even instructions 2-3 on the net, which, however, all aimed at older Plesk versions, and the authentication is running because of SQL queries, then in connection with unencrypted passwords in the database. Now (fortunately, thanks Parallels!), The passwords are stored encrypted, but I'm not getting out the IMAP authentication in conjunction with the encrypted passwords.

Has any of you been able to implement successfully? I would be very grateful for tips. Are there any alternative means of PAM and pam_plesk.so a way?

regards,
    André

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. Nikolay.

Nikolay. Silver Pleskian

35%
    No, I didn't and I'm not exactly experienced with Dovecot. No, Plesk 11 doesn't provide mail authentication via PAM.

You could try to use external SASL authentication mechanisms with Dovecot via plesk_saslauthd daemon (for plain-text authentication) and possibly plesk_auxprop plugin (for shared-secret authentication).

3. Oswald

Oswald New Pleskian

35%
    Use pam_imap

If you are using both Courier and Dovecot, Dovecot can authenticate against Courier via pam_imap.

4. abdi

abdi Platinum Pleskian

18%
  5. RouvenM

RouvenM New Pleskian

Kannst du mir sagen wie??

can you tell me how?

Thx

Rouven

6. Nikolay.

Nikolay. Silver Pleskian

35%
    Please see my thread about Dovecot support here. BTW, I figured out how to do authentication.

7. sirhaplo

sirhaplo New Pleskian

I +1 this thread.
    Can be very useful have an how-to configure Dovecot with Plesk 11.
    I saw some post that talks about the theme ... but all without a conclusion.

So the question is : How-to authenticate against Courier via pam_imap ?

8. Markus_Eyrich

Markus_Eyrich Basic Pleskian

23%
    I'm also interested in setting up Dovecot with encrypted authentication....how did you do it ?

9. Nikolay.

Nikolay. Silver Pleskian

35%
    Markus_Eyrich, I've sent you a PM. I'll share some insight only with those who post into the thread about Dovecot support, and I deem their post useful (and responsible). I will not share any information publicly due to reasons outlined here.

10. Markus_Eyrich

23%
    Thank you. Answered you again, maybe you can check, if you have time.

11. Markus_Eyrich

23%
    Anyone else got this to work somehow?

12. Markus_Eyrich

23%
    Seems not very popular. Is there a way to disable encrypted passwords in Plesk again ? I mean, if i want to force it. I really want to use dovecot on a new server, but i can't figure it out with encrypted passwords...