• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved dovecot won't start

dicker

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.47 Update #4
Hello,
unfortunately my dovecot doesn't start anymore.
Restart did nothing

Attachments

• journalctl -xe.pdf
    81.1 KB · Views: 3
  • systemctl status dovecot.service.pdf
    68.9 KB · Views: 6
I tried to find a solution, because this seems to be a very interesting problem. But after trying to see why you are getting the prominent "pam_systemd(plesk_resctrl:session): Failed to create session: Maximum number of sessions (8192) reached, refusing further sessions." I am leaning towards thinking that this does not necessarily have anything to do with the issue. Instead, I only came up with this:

- The time given in journalctl -xe output does not match the times mentioned in your other log. The log does not represent the error situation.

Instead, maybe looking into /var/log/messages for the time when you try to start Dovecot will yield better data for analyzing this.

I had deleted domains today.
After running dovecot -F I got
doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/conf.d/14-plesk-sni-mail.my-domain.de.conf line 7: ssl_cert: Can't open file /opt/psa/var/certificates /scfZoQBec: No such file or directory

The path /etc/dovecot/conf.d/14-plesk-sni-mail.my-domain.de did not exist. This is one of the domains I had deleted. After I created the domain again, the dovecot started.
Then I deleted the domain again and dovecot starts. However, it takes about 1 minute to start. I don't know why it's taking so long now.

Now when I run dovecot -F I get
Warning: service auth { client_limit=1000 } is lower than required under max. load (20248). Counted for protocol services with service_count != 1: service managesieve-login { process_limit=100 } + service pop3-login { process_limit=10024 } + service imap-urlauth-login { process_limit=100 } + service imap-login { process_limit=10024 }
Warning: service anvil { client_limit=1000 } is lower than required under max. load (20251). Counted with: service managesieve-login { process_limit=100 } + service pop3-login { process_limit=10024 } + service imap-urlauth-login { process_limit=100 } + service imap-login { process_limit=10024 } + service auth { process_limit= 1 }
Fatal: Dovecot is already running with PID 22285 (read from /var/run/dovecot/master.pid)
If I have a dovecot problem again, is it enough to simply switch to courier? and later back to dovecot?

SNI: As an alternative, you can simply delete the /etc/dovecot/conf.d/14-plesk-sni-mail.my-domain.de.conf file.

Long start time: No problem there.

client_limit: Easy solution, simply increase it. Here is how:

Fatal start error: Sure, if it is already running, it cannot be started. Instead, try
# service dovecot restart
or
# service dovecot reload
if you made configuration changes.

Do not toggle the IMAP server. Dovecot has solutions for practically all situations. It is not necessary to create new issues by toggling to Courier and back.

I had the 14-plesk-sni-mail.my-domain.de.conf
in #14-plesk-sni-mail.my-domain.de.conf
renamed, since he is not started.
Now everything is fine. Thanks

Back