• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Dynamic DNS updates of a Plesk hosted Zone

ComNet

New Pleskian
Hi,
I want to use the BIND's dynamic DNS with TSIG. I edited /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf adding the key for the domain I'd like to update, and the allow-update directive inside the zone.
Unfortunately, after any DNS operation from the web panel, the /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf file is overwritten, and I lose any change I manually entered within the zone.
Is there any way to accomplish this inside Plesk (without using another dedicated DNS)?
Thanks,

Marco

It MIGHT be possible to do this by switching DNS off completely for the domain, then manually adding the records. However, I don't know if Plesk looks for domains that are hosted but have DNS off and tries to remove any records or whether it only removed records if it was set up to do DNS and was then configured not to.

You can give it a try though! If that doesn't work, you might also try using an include directive to a specific directory containing the stuff you want - Plesk is very unlikely to look for stuff in files it doesn't expect them to be in (like included files/directories). But I don't know if named.conf allows you to include things in the way I'm suggestion or not :-(

Hi,
I want to use the BIND's dynamic DNS with TSIG. I edited /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf adding the key for the domain I'd like to update, and the allow-update directive inside the zone.
Unfortunately, after any DNS operation from the web panel, the /var/named/run-root/etc/named.conf file is overwritten, and I lose any change I manually entered within the zone.
Is there any way to accomplish this inside Plesk (without using another dedicated DNS)?

I was struggling with the same problem, until I realized that I didn't actually need TSIG-updates. Sure everything would have been much easier with existing DNS-framework, but IMHO dynamic updates are mostly used in your LAN. Plesk isn't.

My solution was to do the A-record updates via SQL / dnsmng --update -pair. It effectively yields the same result and is compatible with Plesk.

Back