• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Email: #550 5.7.1 Command rejected ##

littlefrog

Regular Pleskian
I am running Plesk 10.4.4 on Redhat ES5

Email service is Postfix with MagicSpam module installed.

The problem i am about to describe happens if MagicSpam is on, disabled, installed, and uninstalled so i can rule that one out.

Mail Service settings only have greylisting checked.

Example Email send from me (on exchange using my server as relay host) to a client who's email is setup to forward to an external email.

NOTE: XYXYXY is used to substitute the real domain info of my client and my internal server.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

'[email protected]' ([email protected]) <mailto:[email protected]>
Your message wasn't delivered due to a permission or security issue. It may have been rejected by a moderator, the address may only accept e-mail from certain senders, or another restriction may be preventing delivery.

The following organization rejected your message: host.cmation.net.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: XYXYXY-XYXYXY.XYXYXY.local

[email protected]
host.cmation.net #550 5.7.1 Command rejected ##

Here is another bounce from Gmail to the same email account.
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

[email protected]

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.7.1 Command rejected (state 18).

Anyone have ideas as to what causes this error?

I had the same issue. The greylising service has an over-riding blacklist of:

*[0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9]*
*[0-9][0-9].[0-9][0-9].[0-9][0-9]*
*[0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9][0-9]-[0-9][0-9][0-9]*
*[0-9][0-9][0-9].[0-9][0-9][0-9].[0-9[0-9]][0-9]*
dsl|pool|broadband|hsd
dynamic|static|ppp|dyn-ip|dial-up

Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, has included the word pool in their exchange relay. If you watch your mail queue in real time, you will see something like: db3outboundpool.messaging.microsoft.com whenever there is inbound exchange messages.

The fix I found (and works for me) is:

# /usr/local/psa/bin/grey_listing --update-server -domains-whitelist "add:*messaging.microsoft.com"

I am able to leave greylisting and all other spam/virus protection enabled and receive any exchange mail.

Hope it helps you. Go Microsoft (sarcasm implied)

Jeff

PS - From what I understand, you may have to apply this command every time you upgrade Plesk

Well i will try anything...

This happens from gmail as well as exchange...

Executed command and it didn't change anything.

Of course... in POSTFIX
/etc/postfix/main.cf

if i edit it and comment out
smtpd_milters = inet:127.0.0.1:12345, inet:localhost:12768

the error goes away and mail is delivered properly.

So this begs the question.
What service is running on those ports that causes mail to randomly fail.

Last edited:
Same problem here, we REALLY need to disable milter or switch to qmail to solve the MANY problem with milter?

When you installing the latest patch, you'll have a updated Postfix configuration file (main.cf).
The milters filter has removed at the latest patch (24) as I know.

No, i've installed the latest patch and the milter configuration still here:

---
smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768
non_smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768
---

Remove the milter filter settings from main.cf and restart Postfix.
or disable filter by "#" before the setting.

That is the best way.

By default you can install spamassassin. This free tool will protect your customers for spam and can be configured at your own wish. I advice for the whole server a spam score 6.25.

Each mail-user can adjust this to a lower or higher spam score also.

You could buy a extra licence for the anti-virus software from Parallels "Parallels Premium Anti-virus". This will protect all of your users and domains.

Last edited by a moderator:
By default you can install spamassassin. This free tool will protect your customers for spam and can be configured at your own wish. I advice for the whole server a spam score 6.25.

Each mail-user can adjust this to a lower or higher spam score also.

You could buy a extra licence for the anti-virus software from Parallels "Parallels Premium Anti-virus". This will protect all of your users and domains.

Yes, this is my actual installation but dkim is out from this configuration.

solution

In my experience the <<< 550 5.7.1 Command rejected error was resolved by removing a local IP address from the whitelist.. We had a plesk host running on a 10.x private IP and a firewall forwarding a public IP address to it.. If we added the public IP address (our public subnet) thinking this was a good idea so we were not flagged as spam with our other servers etc.. In my research I thought I would simply try removing all the "white listed" entries.. and whoola it worked..

By default the server adds its subnet to the whitelist as shown in qmail documentation here:
# By default (mynetworks_style = subnet), Postfix "trusts" SMTP
# clients in the same IP subnetworks as the local machine.
# On Linux, this does works correctly only with interfaces specified
# with the "ifconfig" command.

That prompted me to remove the subnet i specified and it worked perfect.

PLESK jump on this one.. Confirmed if you remove this lin smtpd_milters = inet:localhost:12768 the system works... This happens with every update since this line is put back in!!

To make sure this is clear if you send email to this server form another email server on the same network subnet it will be rejected with the 550 error. All other mail works fine. If you remark out this like it then begins to work untill another automatic Plesk update and the line will need to be commented out once again.

PLEASE RESOLVE.. thank you..

Back